Do you drink in front of your kids?

How dose it affect your kids? Do you drink when they are awake or asleep? Sorry more than one Q. Just wondering we drink on ocassion but not much in front of the kids and my sister drinks all of the time and her kids have major problems.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:43 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't think that there is an issue with having a few drinks in front of the kids every once in a while, but not getting plastered or anything. At the family get-togethers people drink. But I can see how someone abusing the booze would have an effect.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 7:46 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• my x drinks in front of our dd and only once i heard dad and so and so fought because he was drunk. i had to call him and say its ok to have a beer or 2 but not to consume as shes old enough to see things shes 12. as for me no i dont im not comforatble with it because when my dd was 3 she could point out daddys "soda" uncles "soda" and mamas coffee but mine was coffee.... since then i decided i wouldnt want to drink in front of kids. now i have 2 bio kids and 2 sd's and they have never seen me with a drink besides coffee or a real soda. they actull asked me once do u drink i said yes i have one every so offten but you guys arnt home... but i would never bash someone who does its there choice as long as there not drunk all the time. but haveing a "calming drink" heck why not.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 7:49 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I have an occasional glass of wine with dinner but that's about it or if we're at a bbq or at the lake my Husband will have a beer. And if one has a drink the other one won't. I grew up with amazing Parents but my Dad would have us kids get him a beer out of the fridge if he was watching a football game and we all grew up great. I think there's a difference between an occasional drink to being drunk and having drink after drink in front of your kids.

mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 7:51 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I never drink until I am drunk. I think that showing my daughter how to be responsible around alcohol is fine.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 7:52 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I do have a drink or 2 in front of my kids, but never to where I am drunk or even buzzed. DH also drinks if front of the kids. I grew up in a house where my mom never drank, and my dad would have an occasional beer, and my parents have 2 good kids and 2 bad kids. I don't think it has anything to do with drinking in front of us or lack there of. It has to do with the choices my siblings made in their own lives.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 8:01 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Dh and I very rarely have more than one drink so yes we drink in front of the kids. We have a drink maybe 2-3 times a month. I would never drink in excess in front of my kids.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 8:26 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Never. If I drink anything at all which is an extreme rarity, it's one drink with dinner at a restaraunt.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:32 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• we don't drink much but when we do and itsaround the kids its in moderation and responsibly - there are times when we do want to cut loose...lol and thats usually after the kids go to bed
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 8:43 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• We had a glass of wine with dinner and a beer now and then in front of the kids. They are grown and married now. Two of the kids rarely drink anything. One,my oldest , likes wine with dinner too. They were not harmed by seeing their Mom and Dad drinking.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 8:49 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I try not to drink in front of my daughter. I don't get tipsy, let alone drunk when she is up, only once did I get drunk while she was sleeping, but it makes me uncomfortable. What if something was going to happen? I would be impaired, and wouldn't be able to react like I normally would be able to. But at the end of a long day, when I was working (nearly two years ago) I would have 1/4 cup of wine every once in a while, helped unwind, without being sleepy.
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 8:52 PM on Jul. 13, 2009