what would you have done?

ds just turned 3 last month. there are days I'm just too busy getting ready for dd to be born to take him outside so I let him go by hiself as long as he stays in a designated area that is right under my kitchen window. I check on him every 2 - 3 min if not more often. well today I had someone come to my back door and give me a flyer for some church... I checked on ds while the guy was talking then went back to the dishes once he was off my property. I checked on ds a few min later and he was fine. so I went back to cleaning only to hear a group of teens talking to ds. I had him come in immediately... what would you have done or thought?and please no bashing. I know many of you would NEVER let dc go outside alone... that's not what I'm asking about...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:44 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'm not going to bash. I personally wouldn't let my child play outside alone that young, but you are his parent, not me! I do think you were right for bringing him inside though. I wouldn't want strangers talking to my kiddo either.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 7:48 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I would have went outside and waited tell the teen left,,Probably would have told them to not bother my son again.

Answer by louise2 at 7:49 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• they were from the church but its still weird. it would have been different if I was out there... but I wasnt.
    Anonymous

• i agree with the first post or answer..
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 7:53 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I let my dd play in the yard by herself, my DH's grandparents and aunt live across the street so someone is always watching the kids. I would have done 1 of 2 things depending on who it was out there. 1. Gone out there and asked what they were talking about, and if I felt uncomfortable with who ever was out there asked them to not talk to my child and leave. 2. Just have my child come inside until I felt comfortable enough to let her back outside. Follow your instincts. If your gut says bring him in than do it.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 7:54 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• We have a 6 foot fence all around and the gate is locked. I let the kids go out back all the time by themselves. They are 5 and 6 now but have been doing so since he was able to negotiate the stairs easily.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:59 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I think I would have gone outside, but depending on what they were saying I probably would have let them talk, some teenagers like little kids. I think it's a little weird they came on your property though. I let my 3 1/2 year old son go outside by himself all the time. We live at the end of a cul de sac with no traffic other than occasional neighbors on an acre of land with a church behind us. I have a neighbor that talks to my son occasionally but otherwise no one ever comes by so I can't really imagine a bunch of teenagers coming by to know for sure what I would do.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 8:43 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• i live in the middle of no where i let my dd play out side as long as my dog is loose he makes a great babysitter...if hse doing something he knows she not suppose to be doing he barks and give a gruff intill i come looking to see whats she up to...she been doing this for a year now
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 9:52 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• i woulda just went outside and waited til they were done talking, unless i hear inapropriate language or whatever..but yaaa some teens like kids, i take my daughter to the park almost every day and theres some teens that hang out there,girls and boys.. theyre probably 14-15yrs old..my daughter is 5..and they totally get right in there with her playing tag and hide n seek..so..im not just gonna assume their "bad"...but ya i wouldnt of broughten her inside...it woulda been the perfect time to reinstate the no talking to strangers conversation tho..but..as long as everything was ok, i woulda let it be....

i've let my daughter play outside allllllll the time by herself since she was 2..mind you my backyard is all fenced in, and the dogs would bark if anyone came up our driveway..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:35 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• times were so different when i was younger, the outside was our babysitter lol. pretty much from when we could walk. i think it's great you're letting him outside and letting him learn to play alone. though i have no answer for your question. sorry.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:57 AM on Jul. 17, 2009