Do you think it is possible to change the minds of extermists?

And, no, I am not referring to anyone on this site. I am talking about the ones who are vocal about their beliefs and think anyone not living that way should be punished. Groups like the Taliban and Al Queda (sp?). Do you think there is anything that can be done to change their minds?
-Ashley

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 7:44 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I seriously doubt it. The whole nature of what extremists are is usually brought about by extreme circumstances in their lives. Severe abuse, living in severe poverty/war/etc, constant indoctrination from a very young age. Several things can cause someone to latch onto an extremeist ideal. And because that ideal/group will be the first sense of "belonging" or "caring" that individual has felt, they are that much less likely to turn from it.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 7:48 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Yes..But like anything else they have to want to change there mind. think differently

Answer by louise2 at 7:52 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• i think its possible, just not probable. but i think kids have the best chance of moving past extremist views, especially if they see/experience something that shows them another way of living.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 7:57 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• No. Any extremist regardless of what their beliefs are will never change. They see themselves as being the only ones that are right and everyone else is evil. Such hatred is difficult to pierce through and I believe it is very rare that an extremist will "see the light" so to speak. The indoctrination that most extremists are exposed to is designed to cut a person down to nothing and then build them back up into what they are "supposed" to be. They know nothing else than what they are taught.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:59 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Possible? Yes. Probable? No.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:17 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I think it is possible, but that it is not something that would be done overnight, it would be a slow process to change groups like this. There are many extremist groups out there and changing anyone of them would be slow.
    Anonymous

• No. If their minds were changable, they wouldn't be extremeists. Someone who can be convinced to blow themselves up, to crash an airplane into a skyskraper knowing they would die as well, or to blow up a clinic full of doctors, nurses and patients while calling themselves "pro-life"; anyone who can claim to love god and jesus and yet beat a gay man to death; these are NOT logical people. You can only change the minds of those who are willing to think for themselves, these people are not.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 3:18 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I don't believe any PERSON could, but I try never to underestimate the power of God and prayer, after all, through Jesus Christ, all things are possible. I SO need to pray more; thanks for the reminder!!!!!
    scaredmom1

Answer by scaredmom1 at 11:45 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• * NovemberLove

Possible? Yes. Probable? No.

I agree. Nothing short of a conversion style crisis can produce enough change in a person and if their faith is strong, it's not probable.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 1:40 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• not without isolating them from the general problem.... and it would take years of trying to erase the damage that the brainwashing has done.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:35 PM on Jul. 14, 2009