Spinal meningitis..

Does anybody know anything about the effects of spinal meningitis during pregnancy? Like, can it be passed to my daughter while in utero? If it could have any long term effects on her if I have it? If a pregnant women can be safely treated?

I've been looking all over the internet and can't seem to find any information.
I'm 28 weeks pregnant and recently may have been infected with it by my step brother who is in the ER right now. I'm waiting for him to call back with his results from his spinal tap but right now they are leaning towards spinal meningitis..So when I hear from him, I'll be calling the doctor. My whole family is starting to get symptoms.
If anyone has any information, it's greatly appreciated.

Marix3

Asked by Marix3 at 8:02 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I asked my sis who is a labor & delivery nurse and her and i agree you need to call you need to call your OB/GYN asap. Meningitis is nothing to mess around with. Is it bacterial or viral? Bacterial is more serious.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 8:12 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• When my DD was 8 days old we rushed her to the ER they thought she had viral meningitis & gave her a spinal tap. Its very serious but I do however, agree w/ waiting on the test results provided u'll get them in the next day or two otherwise go right ahead & call ur obgyn.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 8:23 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• We aren't sure as of yet what kind it could be but he should get the results back in the next few hours. If he is positive, I will go straight up to L&D tonight and start some kind of treatment. Thank you very much for your help!
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 8:43 PM on Jul. 13, 2009