Will This Change Anyone's Opinion?

the Vatican has praised the newest Harry Potter movie saying it makes good vs evil very clear & shows the expression of young love in the "correct balance".

do you think this will change the negative opinion of the Harry Potter series (ie it being "from the Devil") with many Christians?

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap.org/vatican-lauds-goodevil-theme-harry-potter-film-ap

okmanders

Asked by okmanders at 8:08 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• No. Because a lot of mainstream Protestant/non-Catholic Christianity doesn't pay attention to what the Vatican says and I personally don't know any Catholics that have a problem with Harry Potter. JMHO. Good for the Vatican to at least attempt to put an end to the rediculousness :-)

I thought it was even more interesting to learn that J.K. Rowling is Presbyterian lol (Church of Scotland).

I don't have a problem with Harry Potter. If people want to find evil in something, they'll find it. I'm not one of those people.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 8:34 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I can't believe some made up story,,gets religious people in a frenzy

Answer by louise2 at 8:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• It doesnt change my opinion about it, which is that its about witchcraft, real or make believe is irrelevant. We just personally dont watch movies with witchcraft. JMO
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:27 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Most people don't like to admit when they're wrong so I have to say no to that.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:30 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• It isn't about the HP series being evil. It has to do with christian beliefs against witchcraft/wizardry/magic.. Many believe those things are temptations from satan. Thus allowing your children to read about something so infinitely involved in witchcraft would be condoning it. Just like someone strongly against porn freaks out if they catch a teenager with a nudey magazine. Same principal.
    Anonymous

• "No. Because a lot of mainstream Protestant/non-Catholic Christianity doesn't pay attention to what the Vatican says and I personally don't know any Catholics that have a problem with Harry Potter. "

I completely agree. I've never had a problem with the HP series, even when I was a Catholic. If Christians are against witchcraft that's fine, but it's FICTION people! Really, what's wrong with a little fantasy reading every once in a while. It's not condoning anything except maybe a love for reading. The Sword of Truth series is filled with magic, etc but more geared only to adults and no one seems to make too big of a deal over that. My daughter is reading that one right now on my recommendation since she loved HP. She has yet to try to use any of the spells in either series LoL!!!

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:47 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I really don't think so because the christians can't get past the fact that there is witches involved. They tend to think of these kinds of things as wrong no matter what the lesson is in the movie(s).
    homealone_10

Answer by homealone_10 at 8:48 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Those spells in HP are not REAL. In fact, there is hardly any resemblance to real witchcraft (wicca) in it. It's all made up... pretend. I can't point a stick at someone, say Avada Kedavra and kill them. JK is a Christian with a healthy imagination, and I'm starting to think the religious people who want to burn her books and accuse her of doing satan's work are simply jealous that more kids would rather read about Harry and Lord Voldemort than read the bible.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:49 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• NOPE because many protestants can't stand it when the pope talks so if anything this will confirm they are right because the pope's beliefs are different.

Anonymous

• My daughter is reading that one right now on my recommendation since she loved HP. She has yet to try to use any of the spells in either series
    ____

My niece, nephew, son and daughter all tried to repair my mother's glasses after the first movie and they have yelled a few spells out. Not that I think it is anything more the pretend, but I have seen kids try to use the spells.
    Anonymous