Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Saw question about honey...

What can happen if you give a baby honey? I am a new momma

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Answers (5)
  • Not sure what will happen but your not supposed to under one years of age.
    Mel30248

    Answer by Mel30248 at 8:17 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

  • http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/infant-botulism/hq00854
    http://www.wisegeek.com/why-shouldnt-infants-eat-honey.htm
    http://www.nutriwatch.org/06FST/honey.html

    Its rare but botulism can happen, sometimes mild other times can kill, no need to risk it....NO honey for babies
    tabi_cat1023

    Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:20 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

  • This is from the mayoclinic

    Yes, honey can cause infant botulism. Honey is a known source of bacterial spores that produce Clostridium botulinum bacteria. When ingested by infants, these bacteria make a toxin that can cause infant botulism, a rare and serious form of food poisoning. For this reason, infants under 12 months of age should never be fed honey.

    Infant botulism affects a baby's nervous system and can result in death. Most babies with infant botulism, however, do recover. Signs and symptoms of infant botulism include:

    â– Persistent constipation
    â– Floppy arms, legs and neck
    â– Weak cry due to muscle weakness
    â– Weak sucking and poor feeding
    â– Tired all the time (lethargy)
    â– Difficulty breathing
    Botulism spores may also be found in low-acid home-canned foods and corn syrup. For this reason, you should avoid feeding these foods to infants.
    abellvalerie

    Answer by abellvalerie at 8:20 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

  • Honey can contain botulism spores. It's rare for honey to have any spores at all and our immune systems handle the few we encounter easily enough but a baby's immune system might not be able to.
    Products you buy with honey baked in them, like bread or crackerrs, are fine. But products you make at home like cookies shouldn't be given to babies under 2.
    kaycee14

    Answer by kaycee14 at 8:21 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

  • Honey is not pasteurized, which is why there is a botulism risk. Most things are pasteurized today so a lot of people don't think about it. Children under 12 months shouldn't be given anything that hasn't been pasteurized.
    JMmama

    Answer by JMmama at 9:15 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.