2 year old tantrum help

My son will be 2 on July 24th, he has already hit those 2's and I don't know what to do about it. He constantly screams, throws things and hit's if I tell him no he runs through the house screaming bloody murder at the top of his lungs. Spanking does NOT work, super nanny time outs do NOT work, ignoring it most definetly does not work, he screams louder and then just starts hitting. We took him out to eat a couple nights ago and he started throwing stuff in the restaurant so we got our food boxed it up and took it home. My son has becaome one of those kids I dreaded being around in public. Can anyone suggest what I can do to help?

JAJA_Steele

Asked by JAJA_Steele at 8:14 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Do you have a play pen still? Or a play yard?
    Set it up with no toys.
    When he misbehaves stay calm. No yelling, no getting excited. The more upset you get, the more he realizes "Wow! Look what I made mom do! Cool! I have POWER!"
    Pick him up, calmly say "NO HITTING. Time out!" and then put him in his play pen.
    Leave him there until he is calm. Stay nearby, where he can see you. He is dealing with strong emotions that are scaring him and needs to know that you are nearby - if you disappear, he may panic. It may take a LONG time for him to calm down. He may get so upset he throws up. That's ok. Calmly clean him up and put him back if he's still screaming.
    BUT - no talking, no lectures, no eye-contact. Turn your back and pretend to read a book or something.
    Once he is calm, say "We don't hit. Hitting hurts." And then set him free.

Consistency is key. He'll get it if you don't keep switching methods.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:29 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• what a great idea - thank you I will try that
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 10:33 PM on Jul. 13, 2009