Any advice on potty training 3 year old boy with autism???

My 3 year old son is autistic and I am having serious problems potty training. He is absolutely petrified of the potty any suggestions?

MotherWarrior1

Asked by MotherWarrior1 at 8:22 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son is 4 and has PDD. He just stopped using diapers about a month ago. Several months ago I put him on the potty and told him it was just for practice (I read this in a potty training book). I didn't pressure him just told him to try. My husband and I did make comments that it was time for him to stop using diapers. Then summer came and I was able to stay home full time and he started using the potty. The first time he did it we went directly to the toy store and got him a toy car, b/c I had told him I would buy him one if he went to the potty. The only problem w/that was that he asked for a toy almost every time he used the potty. But I still feel buying the toy right away was effective. He also got candy as rewards. I think it's about timing. I don't know how old your child is or how long you've been dealing w/this, so all I can say is hang in there. I really thought it would take my son longer than it did.
    Jilliansmom690

Answer by Jilliansmom690 at 3:11 PM on Jul. 15, 2009