Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My daughter won't bring my grandchild to my house to visit. Do I have a case for grandparent's rights?

I have not seen my grandson in over a year because my daughter and her husband don't bring him to my house to visit. I flat out told them that I WON'T come to their home. Why should I? I'm the grandmother, and I think I have the right to have my grandkids visit at MY home.

They won't come over because I told my daughter that her husband was a loser and I didn't trust him. I told her that if she ever decided to leave him, she could come live with me again. That's all I said. I even offered to pay for the divorce if need be. Now her husband won't talk to me anymore, and my daughter is taking his side, and won't step foot in my home. My daughter says that if I want to see the grandchild, then I have to come over there to see him.

Do I have a case for grandparent's rights? I'm considering getting a lawyer.


Asked by Anonymous at 8:35 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (23)
  • The only person stopping you from seeing your grandchild is you. You have no case if they are willing to let you see your grandchild. Like your daughter said, you can see your grandchild if you come over...your choosing not to go over there and visit. They aren't stopping you.

    Answer by worriedmommy600 at 8:44 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

  • If you were my mom I wouldn't leave my kids at your house without me either. I would not run the risk of you bad talking my children's father in front of my kiddos. I would take my husbands side too. If you want to see THEIR children that bad you can do it at THEIR house.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

  • I agree with the pp. If you really wanted to see your grandkids then you would go see them.

    Answer by JeremysMom at 8:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

  • I have to say I am in agreement with your Daughter if you want to see your grandchild then go there. No you have no grandparents rights AT ALL. Get off her ass and see the child if you want to that bad.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

  • I think that you are making to much of this. She has the right to decide who see her children and who doesn't. I don't believe that you have a good case. If you want to see your grandchildren then go see them.

    Answer by coala at 8:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

  • You should be able to see your grandchildren. However I agree with the daughter. You may have disagreed on not liking her hubby, but you didn't marry him your daughter did. She must love him very much to have married him and stuck by his side. I don't believe in divorce. I believe in the power of prayer and that God can change anyone for the better. If my mother stated that about my hubby and didn't say she was sorry I would've done the same as your daughter. However family is important to me, so I wouldn't hold a grudge and I would suggest you suck it up and go visit the children. No point in getting a lawyer and starting a family feud. Just my opinion.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

  • You would have a case if you were forbidden from seeing your grandchildren. Grow up, play nice, and be a part of your grandchildren's lives.

    Answer by rkoloms at 8:44 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

  • Grandparents rights are different state to state. Generally speaking though if both parents are alive and don't want you to see the child(ren) you don't have a snowballs chance in hell of grandparents rights.

    Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:47 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

  • When your married that's your new family, everyone else is extended family who chooses to accept and love you or stay out of their lives. Sorry but until you learn to let your daughter make her own decisions and you learn to respect her and her husband then deal with your consequences. Its really sad that your missing out on being a grandmother because your to selfish. Trust me my grandparents weren't ever around and didn't put forth effort to see us and I always knew that and it hurt me a lot. But if your ok with missing out on all these life moments then that's your call, but no lawyer (let alone a judge) will do anything for you. Its time to grow up and put your big girl panties on.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

  • As a mother and a grandmother, I'm very sorry to tell you,you are wrong, for a number of reasons,first reason ,when she said,I DO,she is to cleaved to her husband and stand by him, second reason,she is the mother, she probably thinks ,you will tell your grandson bad things about his dad, I have 6 loving grandkids, but, before I became a grandmom,  I taught my daughters respect,I showed them how to be good moms and wives,by respecting their DAD. If, you really love your DD and grandson, you are going to have to take the first steps of maturity,even,if it means making an apology to her husband, my second oldest DD husband irks my last nerves, I think he can do more,but they have been married for 9yrs., I just keep praying and I always try my best to be respectful to my son-in-law,just because I love my daughter and my 2 grandsons. I don't think you want to go to court,you may loose,if,the judge knew you were negative.


    Answer by lady-t3984 at 8:58 PM on Jul. 13, 2009