Do you swaddle your baby?

And put baby in their crib? I'm always worried because my LO breaks out of his blanket and I dont' want him to smother himself with the blanket, so should I just put him in his crib with warm pjs and no blanket?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I covered my daughter with a blanket from day one (it gets really cold in my apt in the winter) and have had no problems. I would swaddle her then cover her with a blanket (a light baby blanket, not a heavy one) and she never got smothered. She moved around a lot to and rarely stayed swaddled all night. I asked the pediatrician if it was ok and she said that it was.
    AutumnsMom31309

Answer by AutumnsMom31309 at 9:07 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Mine wouldn't stay in that blanket if her life depended on it! No matter WHO did it, or how tight they did, she would crawl and wriggle out! We put her in her crib without swaddling and lay the blanket on her ( I know, not supposed to do that) but I tucked it around her stomach and wrapped her from under her arms. But a sleeper or something would work too I think!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 9:08 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• My DD used to wake herself up by hitting herself in the face so we bought a miracle blanket and that worked wonders. She could not break out and slept so peacefully. In winter I also use up to 2 blankets depending on how cold. Now she is almost 5 months and stronger so she can break out and ends up being cold. So we are weaning from the wrap one arm at a time and moving onto those sleeping bags which are amazing. They stay constantly warm and they still feel secure enough to sleep well
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 10:07 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I am worried about the same thing. Im a worrier though. Even though it's summer, I bought some warmer jammies for my baby, esp for when we have the AC on. I am too much of a worrier to put a blanket on her, although, when she takes short naps in her crib during the day I will put a blanket on her because our apt is small and I check on her often. If you are nervous, I would just buy warm jammies.. maybe even those little gloves that they use so the babies don't scratch themselves.. ive noticed my babies hands get kind of chilly..so i put those on her sometimes lol
    itsbree2you

Answer by itsbree2you at 11:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• i tried it with my 6 week old, he hates it since we left the hospital - it's pretty warm here in Virginia and he seems to stay pretty warm all the time like his father and i - so honestly i just let him sleep in his diaper with a receiving blanket over him, when he's too warm he kicks it off - i tried to put pajamas on him once and he got way too hot and he was miserable. We keep our townhouse at about 78 degrees and the upstairs where we sleep is always warmer. Luckily our AC vents are at the floor level so he's not getting blown on....
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 8:47 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• My DD got out of the ones we bought at Babies R us so I ordered the miracle blanket online. She couldn't get out of it and she slept swaddled until she was 7 months old!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• yea we swaddled him and it worked like a charm sometimes he got out of it but it never smothered him.
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 11:03 AM on Jul. 14, 2009