What would you do in this situation??

My friend has a 12 year old daughter and a few other children. The 12 year old brought two of her friends to my house to go swimming they were in my 7 year old daughters room changing and my daughter had money saved from the toothfairy in her night stand. I went to go look for the money today and it was gone. I'm so mad. I said something to the 12 year old and she flipped saying why would you accuse us of taking it. It was probably the lil kids playing with the money. My daughter is with her grandparents in Maine and she's not home while any of this is going on. I'm beyond fuming about the situation because I look like I'm pointing fingers at someone with no proof.....!!!!!!! What would you do in this situation. I'm about to ask the 12 year olds friend to empty her purse in front of me I' m so mad!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:57 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• You have a right to know. Go ahead and ask them to empty out their purses. If they have nothing to hide they wouldn't care if you looked in their purses. If they put up a fight it means they might have something to hide.
    Chize

Answer by Chize at 9:00 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Do it KNOW.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the other posters.
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 9:25 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I agree; you had every right to ask them. I would say something like its just to "make sure" or something similar. If I found any of the money on them, then I would have a long talk with the mother, bc that kind of behavior is inexcusable and if my children were to get caught doing that I'd want someone to come tell me!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 9:31 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• First, find out if your 7 yr old took the money with to her grandparents. IF not, I would be confronting each of the girls and none of them would be allowed back in my house until the money showed up. I would call each of the girls parents and explain the situation. Also, is there a reason they had to go in the 7 yr olds room? Could they not have changed in the bathroom?

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:14 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I would contact the grandparents first, then I would take each girl aside and talk to them about it. I would check their purses if no one confessed. Money doesn't just go missing.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:52 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Frankly, I'd do nothing - other than express my concerns,and suggest to the girls that IF they happen to find the 'missing' money, you'd hope they'd have the kind heart to put it back there, or your DD will be very disappointed.

My personal experience has been that so many times, things are just moved, misplaced, etc. In the end we find it or find some explanation. Even if you check their purses, what if one of them has money... how really do you know what was hers and what was taken? And what if you check and come up with nothing.. how absolutely awful to be falsely accused!! If you appreciate your friend, I would avoid accusing her daughter and friends.

If you really suspect it is happening, I'd set a 'trap' the next time - put something there and see if it disappeears - in that case, ask to see the purses,etc.. Otherwise, as I do with my kids, I ask them to keep their money and important objects hidden away.
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 4:30 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Are you sure your daughter doesn't have the money with her?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• first can i go up to maine also?(jelous)i think i would talk to your friend who brought the girls over.i dont think i would accuse any one just say yeh the other day i was cleaning so and so bedroom and i noticed money was missing.say i dont know if she took it to maine though.she will probly saysomething.maybe she will say something to her daughter.i dont think i would accuse the girls though especially if you dont know the parents cause some parents are in total denial .
    nana77500

Answer by nana77500 at 2:35 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I wouldn't punish or accuse the children, not all of them may have done it. I would explain that the money went missing while they were their and you will discuss it with their parents, then call and mention that it went missing while they were in your daughters room and she is out of town. You might ask your daughter when she calls home too, she may have taken money with her on trip. Then explain to the kids and their parents that until the money turns up you will not be allowing visitors for the pool.
    weirdjojo

Answer by weirdjojo at 7:12 PM on Jul. 14, 2009