Please help if you can...

Has anyone experienced severe back pain in pregnancy(I'm 28 weeks), brought on suddenly?

I was just taking my dog for a walk and about 1/4 mile from home I had a SEVERE pain shoot through the lower left side of my back. I could barely make it home. I've never felt back pain like this in my life, and I usually don't suffer from back pain at all. To walk is so painful it's almost impossible. Has anyone else experienced anything like this during pregnancy, and did it ease up at all? Any idea WHY it was so sudden?

StefanieN84

Asked by StefanieN84 at 8:57 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• sounds like its your sciatic nerve.

hurts like a bitch, and unfortunately there isn't much you can do for it. I did a lot of yoga stretches and moves to keep limber (it hurt though).

my second pinched the nerve at about 22 weeks so I hobbled around like that til she was born at 39 weeks. my third plunked herself on the nerve around 30 weeks.....and every time I got her moved around she'd go right back.

I feel your pain!
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:02 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I had that problem also and i'm 28 weeks as well. I went to the doctor and they said it was sciatica. Pressure on the sciatic nerve, it usually causes random sharp pain. They can't really do much for it, just take it easy. It will probably come and go, good luck!
    javila

Answer by javila at 8:59 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• syatica dang it i cant spell it. Its a nerve that runs from your leg through your bum to the back. I had it. you have to stretch. Mine got so bad I had hubby use a rolling pin on me and it hurt like heck but it worked to get it out. It is normal. painful but normal.
    GoddessHeatherM

Answer by GoddessHeatherM at 9:01 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• it's your sciatica, you can try getting on all fours and seeing if the baby will move forward it helps sometimes..and if you can go to a chiropractor they can do wonders!
    Anonymous

• yup , what she said^^^^^^

I bent over one day when i was pregnant with first, about 4 or 5 months i think. So anyways i bent over and got that pain your talking about, and i felt like i couldn't bend myself back up. I was freakin stuck!!! I was sooo scared i thought i broke my back. I had no idea what sciatica was??!!! ughhh, either way thats probably it, so good luck maybe the baby will move and it'll ease up. :)
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 9:03 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Thanks ladies...I had a suspicion that's what it was. Dang it. I greatly appreciate the quick responses, though. :)
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 9:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I'm 30 weeks. I have been having a really hard time with back pain for a few weeks now. The only thing I have found a little bit of help is laying down and moving from side to side, eventually he moves off the nerve he's hitting and I get a little relief - for a very short time - but if you have the pain u know, so worth it!!
    Maya09

Answer by Maya09 at 9:10 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• that sound right :)
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 9:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• i had the same problem. it was really painful. my husband would massage me or i would put a heating pad on my back. (but dont keep it there long). but the doctor said it was very common.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I started getting SEVERE pain in my lower right side of my back, about 6 weeks ago, it turned out to be a very dangerous kidney infection, and I had to get a nephrostamy tube inserted through my back last week, and the pain still is the same. Please go to see your doctor.
    Candice369

Answer by Candice369 at 10:16 PM on Jul. 13, 2009