i'm 38 wks pregnant. I was leaking the other day so i went to the hospital. but it wasnt my water that broke. they said it could be discharge or urine. but it looks like neither and smells different. any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I do not want to scare you, and I truly hope that I don't.
    Last Saturday 7-4, I was exactly 32 weeks pregnant with twin girls. I had gone into labor a few times and they were able to stop it and keep it at a minimum with weekly progesterone shots. I had also been given steroid shots a few days prior to help my babies lungs mature, as my doctor thought labor was coming sooner than later. Well, my husband and I went to visit our family that was camping at a local river and when I went pee, I thought it was an aweful lot. I kept checking for the normal signs of water breakage or leaking but I didn't have anything. My contractions were there but they weren't any different than they had been over the last 9 weeks. I kept a close eye on it through the weekend and on Monday when I woke up my belly was comepletely squishy like jello. It was really weird and a little scary. I didn't want to be a hypocondriac so I was gonna wait
    TiffanyReed

Answer by TiffanyReed at 9:16 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• It shouldn't have a smell if it's your water.
    Anonymous

• until my doctors appt on Weds. As the day went on it bothered me more and more and I called my dr. The med asst said to come in in the morning but I didn't feel I should wait so I went to L&D at about 7pm. They did the ph paper test and it was negative so they monitored me for a little while. about an hour later I started contracting every minute and they had a dr come in and check me. They were going to transfer me to another hospital, as ours is not big enough to handle preemie births. They dr checked me and I was 4 cm, I was too far to be transferred and was going to have a c section in 3-4 hours. I was really scared. About 45 mins later I was checked again and was 5cm. All of the sudden they were sending me back for an emergency c section. When they got me open one of the sacks were broke. They moved my babies to the other hospital and they are in the NICU. The one with the ruptured bag had a little trouble at birth and
    TiffanyReed

Answer by TiffanyReed at 9:26 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• But both babies are doing amazing now. We are expected to be here until they would have been 35 or 36 weeks. I just want you to trust your gut, if you really think it might be your water, make them do an ultrasound. Sometimes you can have a leak that will fix itself, but you never know. Things happen and I wouldn't want the same thing to happen to you. Good luck and I hope that it's just nothing. Oh, and amniotic fluid can have a smell...I have heard lots of different things though.
    TiffanyReed

Answer by TiffanyReed at 9:30 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• not true my water smelled sweet, becuase the baby had already pooped... maybe its best to go to the er jsut incase..
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 11:12 PM on Jul. 13, 2009