Can you learn to be happy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:10 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• But experts in a new field of psychology say we can overcome natural negativity - by teaching ourselves to be happy.
    Positive psychology - also known as the science of happiness - was developed by Martin Seligman, of the University of Pennsylvania, and focuses on how people flourish rather than on how they become depressed.
    Researchers found that inherited character traits and childhood experiences accounted for just 50 per cent of someone's happiness potential. The rest was controlled by the individual.

They discovered that those who class themselves as 'very happy' are no more sociable, beautiful or successful than the average person.

Anonymous

• Once in a while, u find yourself depending on others for your happiness, when we all need to just find what makes us happy. We may be expecting someone to be happy for us in good times and we dont get the response or reaction that we would give. That is why I learned to celebrate me and I also make time for myself.
    Anonymous

• I believe in the law of attraction. I believe that if you aren't happy, but pretend to be happy you'll eventually become happy. So ya, I think you learn to be happy.
    Anonymous

• I think that we can control our responses. So if we whistle that happy tune, before we know it we aren't afraid- oops, different subject (The King and I.) If we paste on a smile and stride forward confidently, we come across as happy and confident, and others see us as being happy and confident, and we then react more happily and confidently. Instead of bemoaning our troubles, we can count our blessings. One technique I read about was to allow a time every day for worrying and fretting- say 15 minutes- and worry and fret all we want, and then put it aside and take positive action.

Answer by Bmat at 9:32 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I don't know.. I am just happy, glad I never had to learn it.
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 9:36 PM on Jul. 13, 2009