is birth control ok to take while breast feeding?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• There is a BC you can take, but it is a certain kind so you have to go to your doctor to get it, dont just start taking left over BC or somthing.
    Anonymous

• I think it depends on the method of bc you want. I'm not sure about the pills., but my sil had an iud while she was ebf. Just ask your doctor.
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 9:13 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I got prego when I was on BC pill and breastfeeding. I was told by my doc that by my breastfeeding it made the pill not work as good so make sure you tell your doc your breastfeeding. there is a pill you can take I know that but not sure which one it is.
    Anonymous

• both my doctor & my health educator at the office said that there are certain types that are safe & certain ones that aren't. you have to tell your doctor you are breastfeeding & get a prescription that way. the two they told me were the shot & the pill (certain kinds of pill at least). they said most IUDs are NOT safe unless they don't have hormones (aka the copper one). so i'd say talk to your doctor BEFORE you take ANYTHING! =)
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 9:17 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• im taking Camila. My dr. said its the safest type of pill for the baby. It only has one of the hormones instead of both (i don't know which on LOL). The only problem with it is she said it could give me irregular periods because u take the same pill all 28 days instead of having one week of placebos. But in my case my daughter is 5 1/2 months and i still don't have a period so its working out great.
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 9:20 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• My obgyn told me that I would have to take a specific BC pill if I wanted to breastfeed. (I can't remember exactly what it was, as I decided not to) She said that other bc pills make your supply dry up because of the estrogen I believe. The one downside was that for this specific one, you had to take it at the exact same time every day for it to work. Ask your obgyn for their advice!
    carriemills

Answer by carriemills at 9:41 PM on Jul. 13, 2009