What would you do with this stray?? HELP!

I found a dog in my back yard. We live just off a major interstate and people tend to dump dogs there and he was hurt so I gave him a little food and pet him for a minute not really sure what to do from there. But then he followed me into the house. It was late evening so I thought "ok, i'll put him in Angies kennel tonight (our german shep) and she can sleep with me and I'll take him and surrender him to the vet tomorrow". So I went to the vet today and they said they would keep him for a few days to see if anyone claimed him but after that they would send him to the pound. There are no spca's or anything like that any where near us. So anyways I decided to take him back home with me for a few days and put up some posters and see if anyone calls for him. I left his info and mine with the vet as well. When I got home he finally let me get a good look at his wound and it is a bullet hole! Someone shot the poor dog!! ... cont...

mrsbvader

Asked by mrsbvader at 9:12 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Pets

• found a home for the little guy! YAY
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 3:14 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• He was obviously someones pet at some point. He knows "sit", "out" and how to walk on a leash. He's a Jack Russell - VERY hyper and bites sometimes. Not hard enough to break the skin but hard enough to hurt! I have a 1 year old and another on the way. Hubby says we CANNOT keep him. And we have 2 kittens that have been hiding since I found him! They hate him... He's is an older dog and I think he might have mange and I've found several ticks on him and I just don't know what to do. I don't want to send him to the pound becuase I know older dogs don't get adop;ted easily. Especially around here. But we just can't keep him... I really don't know what to do here. Please tell me what you would do if you had found him. He's a sweet boy most of the time... I just don't know what to do here.
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 9:16 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Try posting on craigslist for your area. I've helped adopt out tons of animals through their pet section! Good luck and I hope you find him a home!!!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 9:21 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I say next step if no one claims him is to start offering a free dog at every place you can put up posters/fliers. Ask all around your neighborhood and what not. gl hun. Don't keep him though. You have young kids and a dog and a kitten, you have enough on your plate.
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 9:22 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• OH YEAH craigslist... totally!!
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 9:23 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• he may be chipped; contact a local shelter

Answer by rkoloms at 9:23 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• The vets office checked to see if he had a microchip and he didn't.
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 9:25 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• If you can not keep him, then you'll have to take him somewhere. That is understandable... but poor little dog! Sounds like he has been through the ringer before you found him!!

Do try to place an ad on Craigslist. If you are able, give him a good flea tick bath. If you have to take him to the shelter, it will be better if he is clean when he arrives. Good Luck!! I hope someone answers your ad and gives him a good home... you are a very good person for trying to find a home for him.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:27 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• http://www.russellrescue.com/contacts.php4
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 9:29 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• im weak id kp him he came to ur yard for a reason an im gna guess its bc ur a kind person an i think if u had to u could just make him an outside dog he wouldnt hurt knowone
    momatonly16

Answer by momatonly16 at 9:29 PM on Jul. 13, 2009