bf help

ok so my son is 11 days old and i have been trying to ebf but have been having trouble with my milk supply- how long did it take for ur milk to come in all the way? my milk flow seems to slow down after about 5 minutes of pumping or feeding- i mean it seems like hes getting enough being that hes pooping a little after every feeding and wetting plenty of diapers plus it looks like he is gaining some weight, but he never seems satisfied! he'll feed for anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes per side and then ill burp him, change him, then lay him down but then 20 to 30 minutes later hes wanting to eat again- when he wakes up crying i try everything before the breast but nothing seems to work but the breast ive even tried a binky just in case hes using me as a human pacifier but nope doesnt work....wut is going on? any advice for a mom at her wits end? trust me- i wouldnt mind feeding him all day and night but i have 3 older boys, cont..

lovelyli217

Asked by lovelyli217 at 9:15 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• aged 2yrs, 4yrs, and 5.5yrs so i have to tend to them as well- wut do i do? please help! lol thanks
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 9:15 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Your have a newborn, and this is how often they eat.
    Make sure that you are drinking lots of water. eat oatmeal every day. take brewers yeast tabs. freeze what you pump so you can get a night out.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:22 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• my milk came in relatively fast but my friends did not it took a few weeks. try drinking more liquids. Not to say that you aren't making enough milk, but some babies will be using you as a paci and still refuse a real one. my daughter tried it and still wont even hold a paci in her mouth for more than a few minutes. But the doctors will just look at the number of diapers to determine if hes getting enough milk and youve already said there were plenty. Stick with it if you can and give it a little more time. the more he nurses, the more milk you will make.
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 9:28 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• This is normal! Your baby needs to eat that often because his tummi is TINY and breastmilk is digested quickly. He seems "hungry and unsatisfied" to help increase your supply to where it needs to be to keep up with him. You already said that he is producing plenty of wet and dirty diapers... That means that your supply is PERFECT! I suggest getting a sling or wrap so you can pop baby in and let him nurse as much as he needs and you can also tend to your other kids as needed.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 9:35 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• This is totally normal, make sure to let him unlatch don't time him and make him stop and also offer both sides he can always refuse, buy a sling or wrap and wear your baby so he can nurse and you can do other stuff...my sons are 2, 5 and 7 so my older 2 were 5 and 3 when the youngest and my only EBF baby was born, its tough but once they nurse nurse nruse as much as they want for about 6 weeks they back off totally...give it time
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:21 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I am having a similar situation with my daughter. She is 3 weeks, but has been happening since she was born. At first she was eating for the "normal" 20 minutes, then it slowed WAY down to like a couple minutes each time.. it worried me, but we found out that I had an abundant milk supply, so she was getting lots each time. She was having plenty of wet diapers and gaining weight. My milk came in almost immediately, but I have heard of women who haven't had their milk come in all the way for almost a month. My milk recently started slowing down after like a couple minutes of pumping as well.. I was told to make sure that I am either feeding or pumping every 2-3 hours to keep it in good supply. I was also told to drink lots of fluids. I tried the sling with my baby, and she hated it. Maybe you would have good luck with that though, it would probably help alot esp since you have other kids! Good luck!
    itsbree2you

Answer by itsbree2you at 11:35 PM on Jul. 13, 2009