son has trouble making friends at school

dixiethorn

Asked by dixiethorn at 1:04 PM on Jun. 22, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My DD had this same problem. I started inviting over one "friend" each weekend for about 4 hours and watched to see how things worked. When the child left we would talk about the visit. It was a great opportunity to show her how to pick friends wisely and not just because they liked her but because they could form a good quality friendship. I also had the opportunity to guide her into being a good friend herself. She is quite the social butterfly now and still tends to bring people over to meet the family. I hope this helps some, I remember that feeling of concern but it usually does pass.
    njoynlife

Answer by njoynlife at 1:13 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Have you asked his teacher if she sees any signs of what might make this an issue for your son? I know that a lot of times the children that tend to talk louder or get up in other childrens faces have a difficult time because the other children are either upset by it or offended by the personal space being invaded. I would def talk to his teacher and ask her about how he is during the day or maybe see if you can "secretly" watch from afar during the school day. It might be something he is doing or how he is acting? Then again he might just get shy or nervous. Does your son have any signs of ADHD, autistic, or anything like that? Maybe talk to his pediatrition too. I hope this helps some. I know it must really upset you to know this is an issue.
    Hugs!
    Shele
    SHELEBELLE

Answer by SHELEBELLE at 4:40 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Is it a new school?? That can be hard on kids sometimes. Is your son shy that could also be the problem? Maybe he needs ideas from you on what to say to other kids to start a coversation. Some kids have trouble knowing how to act in social situations. Sometimes we just have to guide them in the right direction. I wouldn't assume your child has special needs just because he has difficulty making friends. He could just be shy. Anyways hope this helps.
    yodasmommy

Answer by yodasmommy at 12:36 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Unfortunately, all kids have to find their own way to "fit in" w/ their peers. I think taking your child to a park or somewhere where there are other kids interacting and watching how things go would help. Try to encourage your child to make friends but try not to overdue it.
    ChasesMommy0115

Answer by ChasesMommy0115 at 12:51 AM on Jun. 28, 2008