Married to a military officer? Or an officer yourself?

DH keeps talking about becoming an officer.....he is enlisted now..hes tried to explain to me HOW he would do this...................but I dont get it. Could someone explain? Does he go to college or what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Money & Work

• I am married to a navy man and love it....
    Anonymous

• NOOOOOOOO lol DH is already AirForce, he is enlisted. Keeps talking about being an officer...or doing whatever he needs to do to do that.......how? His explanation confuses me!
    Anonymous

• He would probably go to Officer Candidate School (OCS). Here's an overview:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Officer_Candidate_School

You can just do a google search for Officer Candidate School to get sites for the different branches.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Yes, he would need some college behind him before he applies to OCS. I know in the Army its at least 90 hours to apply. He would have to complete a bachelors degree in a specific amount of time after being accepted into OCS(in the Army it is within 1 year). Google the Air Force's enlisted to officer program. I should give you specifics. Good luck....its a great option for enlisted by the way!
    Anonymous

• There are a few ways he can become an officer. Yes you have to have a college degree (bachelors). If you have college then you submit a packet and if accepted you then go to Officer Candidate School. Depending on the branch and the job they now have programs that you can go into where they pay for you to go to school then OCS if you have enough college credits for an associates.

Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 10:13 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• My husband is enlisted also but he has talked about becoming an officer once he finishes his degree. You do have to have a degree to become an officer. I have heard that as long as you have an Associates then they will give you a certain amount of time to finish your Bachelor's and you still get to be an officer while you are finishing your degree. I don't know all the details about that though. But for my husband once he finishes school then he will go to Officer Candidate school and if he passes then he will be an officer. Warrant officers are a different thing though.

Anonymous

• Okay IF this helps any.........DH already has an associates degree.......
    Anonymous

• An associates degree will help towards the hours off college required. But he must finish a bachelor's degree....even if this is in the allotted amount of time after he is accepted to OCS. But either way, he has to have a bachelor's in the end.
    Anonymous