I need advice on how to get rid of my son's pacifier.

Here's a little info on him. He is going to be 2 at the end of the month. He only uses for naps and bedtime, he knows that it stays in his crib. I would like to get rid of it around his 2nd birthday. I have two problems.
1. I have a 5 month old daughter who has one too.
2. He's been having a hard time at bedtime the past couple of weeks. What should I do? I was thinking about letting it go on a balloon, but I am not quite sure he will understand. Does anyone have a advice for me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My first thought was out of sight out of mind. However if your daughter has one, then that makes a difference. Maybe do a big boy "party" and tell him that big boys don't need them anymore, yadda yadda, and have him toss it out. Maybe replace it with his favorite toy or something.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 10:16 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• With my son, he wasn't quite two and it got a hole in it. I told him we had to throw it away, it was broken. And that was that. He is 2 1/2 now and will still tell you that his pacifier went in the dump truck (the garbage truck). He also has a little brother that uses them, the same kind. To tell their pacifiers apart we wrote the first letter of their name on them. My oldest knew the ones with an H were his and the ones with an A were his brother's. After we threw his pacifier away we just made sure all the pacifiers in the house had an A on them.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 10:24 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• you dont want to get rid of it while he's going through something, like you mentioned him having trouble at bedtime? he'll become stressed if you take away his comfort at a time that he needs it, you definetely want to get rid of it before you start potty training him, try doing it when he's sleeping well though. try only giving it to him at bedtime insteads of at naps too, then when he turns 2 dont give it to him at all. start telling him now that after he's 2 he wont need it, that he's a big boy. talk to him. explain to him why he doesnt need it and give him another option for when he needs to be soothed.
    Anonymous

• Annon is right, but just for future reference when my 31/2 year old would stop, I cut off the tips, he couldn't keep it in his mouth would pop right back out. Maggie
    goddessmom

Answer by goddessmom at 10:39 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• i know this sounds wierd but it worked wonders...when my dd was 2 i cut the nipple off her favorite paci and told her it was a big girl paci she held it when she slept for two weeks and then just forgot about it...my son was just born at the time and he still uses one and she tells him one day he will get a big boy paci and it has no top ...lmao
    mom2two1112

Answer by mom2two1112 at 10:42 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• i dont think you should take it away from him. hes in the oral fixation stage and he needs to fill that need or else he will be stuck in the oral fixation stage forever and will end up smoking ciggerates, eating too much, biting his nails, etc. whats the big deal anyway? he likes it. hes is still a baby. hes only two. hes not a "big boy" yet.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:21 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• cut off the nipple.
    JenFunSniffer

Answer by JenFunSniffer at 12:29 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• You dont have to completely cut off the nipple. You can just cut a hole in it. It makes it less satisfying but still there. That way, he will lose interest in it on his own.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 2:08 AM on Jul. 14, 2009