What kind of career offers the most flexibility for a single mom?

I want to go back to school and I have been trying to do research on what would offer me the best flexibility for me and my 3 year old daughter. I have been researching nursing and computers both of which i'm very interested in.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:27 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Money & Work

• Anything in the medical field is a good idea because the demand is always going to be there. However, something like nursing will not have as much flexibility as you might thing.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 10:28 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I know a mom who is a nurse. She works 3- 12 hour shifts each week- 36 hours and gets paid for 40 hours. If you can find something like that then you have 4 days to spend with your daughter each week and when she gets older you will still be able to go on field trips, parent-teacher conferences, volunteer, etc.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:30 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I am also a single mom and am going into education. I want to own a daycare or be a teacher for the little ones. Education is a good option because you will typically have the same work schedule as the child's school schedule. You would get the same holidays, etc.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 10:34 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Don't know if you have thought about being a stay at home mom and not working out side the home... I have huge amounts of flexibility right now. I have 2 little boys running around my home while I am growing my at home biz. It is with a comp that recently won an award with the BBB so it is no scam. If interested in getting more info, you can visit my website at www.beingunited.com or email me at rebeccabowen@live.com. I would be more than happy to talk with you and share with you what I do from home! Thanks
    Rebecca
    Rebecca325

Answer by Rebecca325 at 11:19 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I work for the State and get generous leave credits and have the option of flex time. As a single mom, the health insurance, leave time, and security are very important. I'd check into the jobs in demand in your state and see if they fit for you. As my mother once told me, "they always need the money people." I know our state has continuous testing for accountants and auditors. You don't need to be a CPA, but you do need a 4-yr degree.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:22 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I'd probably say a teacher. You get a lot of sick and personal time you can take off. You work the hours your child is in school and you get summer's off. I'd love to be a teacher!
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 8:06 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I'm w/ halfpint. I work for the state - great pay, benefits, flexible schedule.

And while I agree w/ the nursing comment, the negative there is going to be the hours. Without a spouse at home, you'll need to have friends/family to rely on, and/or find a 24-hour daycare.
    KLBrown

Answer by KLBrown at 8:07 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• as a teacher, I can agree that your days off will often be the same as the kids and even summer breaks, which are great, but people seem to forget about all the other things that teachers have to do. Many of the students days off are still teacher work days, there are faculty meetings between once a week and once a month that you have to stay late for. Committees that you are required to join that meet after or before school and that is not to mention all the additional classes you have to take to remain certified. Not to mention the first few years, you will be planning and grading and taking much longer with these things than the school day allows for. Now, that is not to say that education isn't a great field- I just want to point out the realities of teaching. There are plenty of jobs in the education field that aren't teachers, too. Cafeteria workers, administrative assistants, personal assistants in the classroom..
    erinb03

Answer by erinb03 at 8:42 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I am a Senior Consultant with Pure Romance and it's my home biz..My business name is Pure Romance by Andrea. Since it is a business, there is a fee to start which will be your starter kit. You can visit my website www.andreacarter.pureromance.com and take a look at them. If you have any questions and are interested in joining my team, you can call me at 205.246.1202 and I will answer your questions and help you get started. I love this business because I don't have to answer to a boss and work when I want to. I've been doing this for about a year now. I also take online classes with Kaplan University so it allows me time to do assignments and all.
    prbyandreac

Answer by prbyandreac at 4:47 AM on Jul. 17, 2009