how do i get my 2 and 3 year old to actually eat breakfast and not feed it to the dogs?

for some reason no matter what i feed my kids (2&3) for breakfast they always end up feeding to the dogs. i dont know if they just arent hungry or just not interseted in the food i am giving them. i even tried waiting an hour after they get up to feed them but still most of it goes straight to the dogs--HELP PLEASE!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If they feed it to the dogs, they don't get anything else to eat until lunch, or if you give them a mid-morning snack of fruit or celery sticks- something nutritious-, they wait until then.

Answer by Bmat at 10:44 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I don't have a child of that age yet (37 weeks!) but I do have 4 dogs and a 2 yr old in the house. She likes to give the dogs food, so we have to feed her in a room where the dogs aren't allowed (the kitchen). That help some, and she is also a picky eater so sometimes even with not having dogs around she will not eat. Hope this helps and good luck!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 10:46 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Do they know that people food can make dogs sick? Keep the dogs out of the kitchen/dining room during meals.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:48 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Lock the dogs in another room while your children are eating... that's what I do with my two year old
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 10:49 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• My son will eat anything if he can dip it in something. You could try that. But yeah if my kids don't eat their meal they don't get anything till the next meal too.
    Hannah22

Answer by Hannah22 at 11:08 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I tell my son if he feeds the dogs his own food it will make the dogs sick and they could die. Kinda bad, I know. We also keep the dogs outside when we eat. I also tell him if he finishes eating his food "all gone" then he can go and give the dogs their food. (We keep the dog food in a big garbage can out in the garage so a grown up needs to get it). My son loves that chore. Good luck.
    JenFunSniffer

Answer by JenFunSniffer at 12:33 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• i had this prob with mine and i realized they might just not be hungry so i dont fix breakfast anymore until they ask for something... then i'll make them breakfast and if they dont eat until lunch time i'll make lunch.... a 2 and 3yr old can pretty much tell you whenthey are hungry

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I have found that eating with them helps .I think they measure their hunger by are standards some what . Any way you cant make them hungry you can set an example that will encourage them . P.S. I don't always follow my own advice tho I've known it to work .,just keep trying and give smaller portions ,it doesn't intimidate them so much. They also feel good that your pleased when they finish.
    MAMMAGOTEIGHT

Answer by MAMMAGOTEIGHT at 9:12 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I have a 1 and 3 year old and I have to put the dog outside when they eat or my kids do the same thing. If the weather is too bad to put the dog out, then I lock her in my bedroom just while the kids eat. They pay a lot more attention to their food when the dog isn't around.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:39 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I know it might not help too much but, my oldest won't eat dinner if I give her lunch so I have scaled down lunch even smaller. Like a sandwich and a peach or just the sandwich. Pretty much I tried everything like just small snacks through out the day but she wouldn't eat what was in front of her. So making smaller meals is what helped.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Jul. 14, 2009