Has your baby ever drank bath water?

My 11 month old is learning how to drink from a real cup and today in the bath he decided to take a big gulp out of the little bucket he uses as a bath toy. He choked on it for a few seconds but was fine. But then I got paranoid because I read an article about a little boy who swallowed water and it ended up in his lungs and he died. Please tell me I'm overreacting!! What are the chances water got in his lungs?

P.S...no bashing please, I'm a paranoid mama I know.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:41 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Very, very slim chance. Every bath night I am telling my 18 month old not to drink the water and almost every bath night he chokes on it. Also every time we go swimming it gets in his mouth. I also got a little paranoid after hearing of a boy that died of "dry drowning" I believe the article said to watch for them to be extra, extra tired and having a hard time breathing. If you are really concerned you can always call your doctor on call.
    Anonymous

• well i'm sure it was more than just swallowing the water since it's ok to offer water to infants, maybe he drowned or he choked on it! poor thing =(
    anyways, yes my son drinks bath water sometimes. I used to have a tumbler to help rinse him off and he'd take the cup, fill it up and drink it. his new thing is to sit, dunk his head in the water and he gasps for air everytime. it scares me everytime and I always try telling him NO.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:46 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• my son is almost 4 and he still tries to swallow bath water if I'm not looking
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 10:55 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• LOL! Your baby is fine. I cant tell you how many times my daughter has drank bath water. She is 2 almost 3 and still does it even though I tell her how nasty it is. lol
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 10:56 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• my son is almost 8 mos and plays with a wash rag in the bathtub, and he likes to suck the water out of it...no biggie!
    I'm sure your baby is just fine!

:)
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 11:03 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• yes i forgot to add my sons other new thing is his fascination watching the water drip from the washcloth then suck on it. or if i give him an oatmeal bath, he likes playing with the sock i used to fill with oatmeal and he'll suck on that ewwww. I now remove it once the bath is filled lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:09 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• it's fine my 11 month old takes swimming classes 3 times a week and always drinks the pool, (not always on purpose) but Im sure your LO is just fine...it's ok to worry =)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:52 PM on Jul. 13, 2009