Advice for travelling with toddler to different time zone??

I am flying from East Coast to West Coast with my 12 month old. My daughter's normal bedtime is 7:30pm, and she wakes up by 7:30am. Should I just keep her sleep schedule the same? For example, 7:30pm EST is 4:30pm PST. Should I put her to bed at 4:30pm, and wake up with her at 4:30am? And just go from there? I know it would SUCK to have to wake up by 4:30am, but I don't want to mess up her sleeping patterns.

I will be staying in a hotel, because I can't expect that my sister's family will keep the noise level down in their home starting at 4:30pm, and expect them to wake up to my daughter playing at 4:30am!!

Any advice? I'm really not sure about all of this!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• My daughter and I travel quite a bit too and she's gone all the way to Thailand when she was 8 months and 14months, she slept pretty much all the way there. I thought I was going to have a problem but she actually adjusted really well. I've noticed they adjust themselves better than we do. I agree with the other moms, try to keep the schedule and routines as normal if you can..Good Luck! and Don't Worry..everything will be ok..

Oh! Another thing I wanted to share... as you know, Airlines always asks parents with children to board the plane first. Well, I always board the plane close to the last passenger..because it gives me and her at least another 15-30 minutes to move around outside. Instead of having her strapped in and get restless waiting for other people to board. It works for us and now she's 5 and understands why we do it! So..that is all...have a fun and safe trip! Warm Regards
    roseapple

Answer by roseapple at 5:22 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I've flown a lot of times with my kids to different time zones. Usually if they sleep on the plane it's perfect because they adjust quicker to the time change so if you can get them to sleep it's a piece of cake. How long are you going to be there? It may not be worth switching the sleep schedule. We went to the east coast from the west for 4 days and my daughter never adjusted, but it was easier when we went back. Other than that I just suggest keeping the schedule as close to normal as possible. Good luck. Have a safe trip.
    Hannah22

Answer by Hannah22 at 10:59 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• i took my 3 yr old over 3 time zones and her adapted to the new place quickly, stayed up till it was dark amazingly, it has been hard getting him back on his old schedule but we could enjoy the vaca... go on her cues, if you have to get her back in bed early when you come back, make her super tired one day (skip nap) so she can get back into her old routine, kids adapt amazingly well, much better than us, dont worry!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:04 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• We travel a lot, too. Whether I adjust my DD's sleep schedule depends on how long we stay at the place. If it's a quick trip, I wouldn't change the schedule. If longer, I slowly adjust the schedule. 1/2 hr. or 1 hr a day. You do the same when you go back. (That's what I heard somewhere.) You also have to consider how well your child can adjust to a new situation. But most of all, you have to read child's mood closely. You have to be flexible. I think it's a great idea to get a hotel room. Good luck.
    Meachan

Answer by Meachan at 11:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I traveled from east to west coast with my son when he was 4 months old. It was a two hour difference and I never changed anything. We just went to bed and woke up two hours earlier the whole two weeks and we never had any problems.
    Mommy0425

Answer by Mommy0425 at 11:15 PM on Jul. 13, 2009