sooo scared for school to start please help!!

ok so my just turned three and he is enrolled to go to head start only for half of days well iam 7 months pregnant and i dont know if it is because of my hormones but i really dont want him to go well i do so he can get an education but iam so scared i feel like he is to young for school because i am a sahm and so worried i know he still can go next year because he is so young! please help me ease my mind and tell me what i should do? is he to young? iam going crazy getting myself all emotional! thanks

Reneemommy

Asked by Reneemommy at 11:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well no matter how old your kid is you'll always want them to be home instead. (most of the time. lol). I cried the whole first week of my son starting Preschool, and Kindergarten and I'm sure I will in a couple weeks for 1st grade. lol. If you think he's emotionally and mentally ready to go to headstart it's good for him. He'll learn a lot, and it'll give you a nice break since you're expecting and need to rest before the new baby comes. Believe me you get less time the more kids you have. He'll have fun too.
    Hannah22

Answer by Hannah22 at 11:16 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• What is his reaction to it? If he is excited you need to find a way to calm yourself on the idea. It is hard to let go. I am a sahm as well, but I kept my daughter home this year. She will go next year and turn 4 in October. If it is this hard on both of you then hold off a year. It won't hurt him any.
    Amy_M

Answer by Amy_M at 11:17 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• He's going to enjoy it & when he comes out of the class all excited, You will be too! This will also burn off some of that eneregy a 3 year old usually has as well. My little boy will be 4 this month but I put him in preschool right before summer & he went 1 day. Now that summer has started, I have him going for 2 days. I took it slow because I wanted to make sure that we were BOTH ready. I now wish that I would have put him in for 3 days because he looks so forward to going. You will be fine! Try to put some positive energy into it instead. Best wishes to you~
    onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 11:20 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• ahh thank you he is excited for a school bus but they want to come get him on the bus by him self and he does not do good at all with new people and will cry and cry he is very attached to me but he just turned 3 in April and i feel he is too young but i just wish i could be there with him but i know i cant uhh iam just soo scared!
    Reneemommy

Answer by Reneemommy at 11:22 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• i have a 13 year old and a 3 year old. when the oldest (cam) was 18 months old he had to start daycare. i was the unfortunate one in a marriage where there was infidelity. so i went back to work and off he went to daycare. i cried everyday on the way to work after i dropped him off.flash forward to about 2 years ago. my younger one (nic) starts attending Kids Day Out at a church. Cam comes up to me one day , all nostalgic about daycare and preschool. he says "mom, i LOVED daycare" ...OMG if i had known how much he loved going to "school" i would never have felt so upset having to take him there.

loriblack

Answer by loriblack at 12:16 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• since i work at KDO, i tell this story to moms every year. It was a blessing to have him lift that cloud of guilt off my shoulders.i always reassure the parents that we always have a really fun time at KDO every time they come...even if they come in crying, they stop as soon as mom is out of sight generally. enjoy the time with your new baby getting him/her on a nice routine at home.

loriblack

• It's both.
    Your hormones are going bonkers.
    He's moving into a larger world.

But - you are 7 months pregnant. Let him start and enjoy a little free time with your newborn in the mornings. Give it a little time. If you still have mixed feelings after the baby arrives and your family settles back down, take him out.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:45 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• If you have an ipod, turn it lowly on soothing music. Do something one-on-one before he leaves. Something simple like reading books, singing a couple songs, picking one sticker to put on every morning before he leaves. It will also help the jealousy when the baby comes, that he still has special time with you. Try to hold the tears for when he is gone, it will help him a lot. Break down when he's out of sight, a little release is fine. :)
    cocoamug

Answer by cocoamug at 12:34 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I don't 3 is too young for nursery school or 1/2 day head start. Does he want to go? If he doesn't I'd pull the plug for a little while. If he does want to go, then go for it. I was kept in nursery school and didn't start kindergarten until the last minute.
    I'm sure you have the best idea on what your son is ready for- you'll get used to him being in school :) best of luck
    LadyAronna

Answer by LadyAronna at 2:11 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• It's normal to second guess our decisions when it comes to our kids....but, think back and ask yourself what the reason was why you signed him up initially.....this should remind you of your thinking. 

It's definately hard letting go of "our babies" (even when they go off to college or get married).  To help him understand leaving you, you may want to talk about it and read books about it to prepare him http://www.cjkidz.com/parentsgrandparentsteachers.html (Click on School, Starting, Afraid).  I bet he will get something out of it and you may too!

momjs

Answer by momjs at 5:45 PM on Jul. 14, 2009