How can I get my picky 15 month old eater to eat protein? He won't eat any meat, fish, chicken, cheese or milk of any kind.

I've tried mixing small amounts in his pureed food but he spits it out. I think it's totally based on texture. He will eat PB&J's and occasionally pizza but other than that I'm at a loss. I make Maltomeal w/ whole milk, give him yogurt, and he still loved pureed baby food. But, I'd love him to move on to other toddler favorites and start feeding himself. I can't believe he won't even eat pasta, mac n cheese or chicken nuggets. I'm just at a loss and getting really frustrated!

ChasesMom321

Asked by ChasesMom321 at 11:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Work with his likes and dislikes, move at his speed. The more you try to force him away from the foods he is comfortable with, the more you try to get him to move on to "older" foods, the more he may resist.

Let him feed himself for a start. Yes, it will be messy. But while he's eating the yogurt, you eat chicken. Let him see you eating it. Let him watch and reach for it. If he wants a piece, let him have it. Don't worry if he doesn't eat it. Let him do whatever he wants with it. When he does put it in his mouth, don't do anything! Just keep eating yours and let him ask for more. Never, ever say "See? Isn't that yummy?" No one likes an "I told you so"... not even a toddler. Especially not a toddler.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:03 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Pretty it up. Get cookie cutters and make it into shapes or animals.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 11:19 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• have you tried like lunch meat thats just about the only meat my dd will eat and maybe sliced cheese
    lmaines22

Answer by lmaines22 at 12:03 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Have you tried vegetarian options like tofu or rice/beans - these are also great sources of protein and perhaps more in the textures he likes as well.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 12:11 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I think its a phase. My daughter is 18 months and she has gone into this veggie stage where she wont eat any meat or cheese either. You have other options like beans, vitamins and stuff. My daughter loves beans and I give her vitamins. Check with your pedi, if their not concerned I would either.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 12:56 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I was having the same issue the past severl weeks with the protein thing with my 13 month old. I tried every kind of meat and he would not swallow just stored it in his mouth. Then I tried hiding it and he would find it and store it in his mouth! I was worried about the protein too. Then a mom suggested to me the Gerber meat sticks of chicken and Turkey that came in a jar. I tried them and he eats them with no problem. I kept introducing meats because they say it takes at least 10 times of introducing for them to start eating it some times. Especially meat. If that doesnt work, try beans. They are great for protein too. I did that for a bit. Have you tried whole grain waffles or pancakes with sugar free syrup at all as another "toddler" food? My ds loves them!
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 3:18 PM on Jul. 14, 2009