Scared please help 26 weeks preggo!

I went to the dr and my iron is very low 8.7 my dr gave me iron pills to take twice a day but my dr told me if it doesnt get better when i go into labor Im gonna need a blood transfusion this is my 4th child this has never happen to me before Im scared! HAS this every happen to you or what do u think my chances are of gettin my iron higher before labor

rissa1789

Asked by rissa1789 at 11:37 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think if you start eating right you have an excellent chance of getting your iron up before labor begins. Keep in mind, though that you won't definately have to have a transfusion if you don't though. It is more likely that you will hemmorhage if you are anemic at the time of delivery, but it's not a guarantee. Your doctor is using scare tactics. Eat really REALLY well (no prepared foods, lots of green, leafy veggies and balanced meals with lots of protein) and take your iron pills and I'm sure you'll be fine.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:39 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Eat well, beef is a good sorce of iron and so are leafy greens.

good luck!
    mach1racer

Answer by mach1racer at 11:45 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Blackstrap molasses and iron pills. Blackstrap molasses has a TON of iron in it, and is one of the best things for raising your iron. I had anemia in my first trimester, and I can't stand taking those iron pills.. they make me puke every time. I got the Flintstones vitamins with iron and ate a tablespoon of molasses and by the middle of my second trimester my iron was better than normal. I agree that your doc is using scare tactics; you still have tons of time to increase your iron! You just don't need to be anemic when you go into labor, but leafy greens and molasses and vitamins will cure that easily. Just be glad they caught it this early and so you can work to get it back up! Good Luck! :)
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 11:59 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• take your pills and eat foods with iron in them. They told me the same thing and its really not such a big deal as long as you remember your pills. Take them with your prenatals if possible so you don't forget
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 12:02 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I had low iron as well. i just took my pills and was fine. I didn't need a bood transfushion.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 1:08 AM on Jul. 14, 2009