What age can I give my baby some cereal in his bottle??

He is 7 weeks now and sometimes hard to get to sleep and stay aleep he is always eating and people tell me its ok to give him some now and some people are telling me deff not!!!

I think I should try it and if it dont work and it bothers him I just dont give it to him again easy as that....

What should I do?

JenniG89

Asked by JenniG89 at 11:38 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was told that they can choke on it from the bottle... I wouldn't start giving him cereal til 4 months..
    Mamakat90

Answer by Mamakat90 at 11:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Never! You are NOT supposed to give it to them in the bottle unless otherwise directed by your Pedi. Plus it has no nutritional value, and it's not ever necessary.
    Anonymous

• The recommendation is strictly breastmilk (or in this case, formula) for the first six months. Clinical studies have shown NO increase in sleep duration with the introduction of solids, including cereal in the bottle. You will only be increasing his risk of diabetes, and not get any more sleep, unfortunately.

So just do your best to sleep when he sleeps and take shortcuts whenever possible. (like maybe having a pitcher of prepared formula in the fridge and heating it up as you need it at night, etc).

Good luck!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:42 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• You can start feeding your baby rice cereal at 5-6 months old and solids around 6-7 months old. Finger foods around 7 months.
    Anonymous

• Baby doesn't have the enzymes to properly digest food earlier than 4 or 5 months old.
    Anonymous

• My baby did not sleep through the nigh when we started feeding her baby cereal. She is 8 months old and still does not sleep through the night.

We fed her baby cereal at 4 months.
    Anonymous

• My pediatrician had me give my daughter the cereal in her bottle at 2 weeks for spit up.. I wouldn't recommend it. It made her spit up worse, and she had a horribly fussy day (which was unusual, because she usually is pretty content) so we stopped giving it to her immediately.
    My friends pediatrician just started allowing her to giver her baby the cereals and some baby foods, and he is 6 months.
    itsbree2you

Answer by itsbree2you at 11:52 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Cereal in the bottle is never a good idea. If he can't eat it by spoon, he's too young. And 4 months is generally the BARE minimum. It's better to wait until 6 months to start any solids.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 12:15 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Never, never never! Never give a baby cereal in a bottle. They can't digest it properly until at least 4 months, 6 is best, unless they are showing all the signs of being ready, and he could choke. If your baby can't take it from a spoon (that ability comes around 4-6 months), then you shouldn't give it to him.

A lot of people say it will help the baby sleep better, but it won't. When my daughter started eating solid foods, it took her until she was eating them several times a day (like eating a whole jar of stage 2 foods, plus her baby cereal in the morning and her bottles) to start sleeping more. And that might have just had something to do with her being older.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 12:46 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Oh and given his age and how he's eating all the time, he's probably going through a growth spurt. The go through one at around 6-8 weeks. They go through lots, of course, but I'm just pointing out that he's due to hit one right about now. It'll pass. Sure they don't all always sleep and eat the way we wish they would, but it will get better soon! I promise. Welcome to motherhood. It's not fun all the time, and it's not easy, but it's really rewarding.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 12:48 AM on Jul. 14, 2009