weight gain

Ok..so I didn't know this, but the pediatrician said my daughter should be gaining an ounce of weight a day. That would equal out to like a pound every 2 weeks.. right? Sounds like alot to me. I have no idea..im a new mom. She's only 3 weeks old. Does this "ounce a day" slow down when they get older? This pediatrician really doesn't explain himself much..(I'm looking for a new one.. this same dr had me feed my 2 week old rice cereal for spit up..didn't help at all)

itsbree2you

Asked by itsbree2you at 11:49 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes it slows down the older they get. And most dr do suggest the rice cereal in the bottle for spit up. But my dr. told me if my son wasn't spitting up atleast half his bottle at each feeding then the spit up is just a normal thing. gross but normal. Hang in there things will get better for ya.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• That sounds right for that age. Yes, it slows down but remember, most 12 month olds weigh over 25 pounds. So that's over a pound month of gain, with most of that in the early months. That's when babies lay down the fat layers to carry them through illnesses and when they build muscles to start supporting their own bodies.

The rice cereal can help with GERD (heartburn). In babies, it shows up as excessive spit-up. It helps some, but not all.

This site has good info:
    http://www.babycenter.com/baby
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:09 AM on Jul. 14, 2009