Being used as a pacifier?

I breastfeed exclusively, and I have noticed lately that my daughter will get reallllllllly fussy and I'll try everything to see what is wrong, and I'll eventually see if she's hungry..and I feel like she ends up using me as a pacifier. Is this normal? She uses a regular pacifier once in awhile, but not always. What should I do about this? I can imagine this eventually become a potential problem..right?

itsbree2you

Asked by itsbree2you at 11:58 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It could become a potential problem, yes. My son wouldn't take any kind of pacifier. I tried them all. Finally he took the ones by MAM brand. He's doing a lot better now and takes them all the time. My advice is, just relax about it now and keep trying different kinds. Maybe she doesn't like the ones you have. It should slow down as she becomes more interested in toys and moving around on the floor. She'll lose interest in nursing just to nurse. It'll be more to eat and as an occasional comfort thing like if she gets hurt. That's how my boy is. most of the time now he prefers his pacifier over me. Good luck.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 12:06 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• My son has the same problem. He is now 11 months old and I have gotten the nursing down to three times a day..which is good for us. Though, now that he is teething it has become increasingly harder to stay within the "3 times a day" guidelines. I have noticed that as he has learned to self feed table food he hasn't wanted to nurse as much whereas with solids in general he still required nursing. I often can not walk into the room that he is in because he will freak out and want to nurse not because he is hungry but because he just wants to pacify himself. I wish I could be more help! Good Luck!
    lucysmomrocks

Answer by lucysmomrocks at 12:08 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• The MAM brand is actually the only kind she will use when she does. My friend suggested it bcuz her son only liked those as well. I wonder what it is about those. I bought tons of the ones that the hospitals give...the ones w/ the house round front to them...she wants nothing to do with them. lol.
    itsbree2you

Answer by itsbree2you at 12:15 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• It's very normal. That's what your there for, binkys are just replacements for what were really supposed to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• anon that is a crock ...babies have an ingrained need to suck and I have never thought God created woman to be permanently "used" for anything...to the OP sometimes babies want a paci due to acid reflux, it helps them combat the stomach acids, maybe at next appt talk to doc about it. Keep trying different pacis and one will work better. Just be sure when she goes into suckle mode and you know she is full, only offer the paci. Contrary to pop belief this will NOT effect how she feeds. good luck.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:56 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I don't know what the answer is for the actual question, I just know that no matter what binky we tried...mam's the nuk's, my EBF baby would NOT take anything...wouldn't use a bottle, would not use a binky....good luck!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 1:12 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I checked your profile and it looks like you just had your baby last month, right? Congratulations! That is wonderful. If she is only a month old or less, I would recommend that you continue to breastfeed her as much as possible and not worry a whole lot about the binky yet. Good nursing sessions will satisfy that need to suckle, and often the baby will fall asleep at your breast and you can just lay her down. Right now your body is still adjusting your milk supply to her demand so other sucking should be limited if possible.

If that doesn't work for you and you really want her to start a binky, I can't be a whole lot of help, unfortunately. My kids never, ever took one. I ended up using my pinky for them and it was the only pacifier that either of them would take.
    clairandamjones

Answer by clairandamjones at 1:38 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• (continuing) The good news is that it's just for the first few months when they really need to suck, and by the time they get a little older they can find their fist and eventually their thumb. Some breastfed babies just don't take to false nipples of any kind, no matter what shapes and sizes you try. You can try some that are shaped more like a natural nipple and see if that helps. I've known of babies who will take one and only one from a whole lineup.

I hope that you find some substitute for yourself because I know how exhausting it can be, but I wouldn't worry yet about it becoming much of a problem. She's so little. Just enjoy the tinyness! It doesn't last long enough. Congratulations again!
    clairandamjones

Answer by clairandamjones at 1:40 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• i had this problem in the hospital with my little one. the doctor told me its called "cluster feeding" when your baby just seems to suck on you for comfort. it tore my nipples up and i almost gave up and switched to the bottle. i soon found out that a pacifier (which the doctor recomended) was an easy fix and im doing fine now. ive also found that when my baby cries and wants to nurse its because she has a belly ache (usually from gas even though i burped her). also be sure you are eating and drinking enough, maybe your milk isnt satisfying her because you dont have enough nutrience. my best advice though : see if your local hospital has a lactation consultant or talk to your childs pediatrician. they can tell you the likely culprit to your problem. im glad to say with the advice i got from mine im still able to breastfeed my little one.
    brittneyndanika

Answer by brittneyndanika at 2:31 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• yup it's normal very normal i heard over time it makes you get some cricked teeth beware botu them pacifierzzzzz
    BriannaBopp

Answer by BriannaBopp at 6:02 PM on Jul. 14, 2009