racial slur?

I have read lots of post where the response will be "that is trashy." But sometimes someone will say, "white trash"........is that a racial slur? To me it sounds like someone is saying only a white person would do it........or does "white trash" mean any race? BTW im not being a smart ass just wondering......seriously.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• it means "white" as in a white person....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Nah, I think "white" is pretty specific - but it's been used so widely to describe someone who lacks morals, self respect, character, cleanliness, tact, etc that it could easily be used for any person who fits that description - regardless of their race. I don't use it - ever. I think it's just ugly and makes the person saying it look bad just for saying it. It's kinda like the N word, or GD - some things just should never come out of anyone's mouth.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 12:22 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I was raised very multi culteral and its offensive no mater what is your color REALLY .the only people that get away with it is if you know the person and you and that person allready know each other and are ok with talking like then its ok .o know people that call eachother bitches .and i know black people that call each other niggas .
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 12:23 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• White people can't be ghetto? YES THEY CAN!!! Therefore, "white trash" can be anyone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• trash is that bad part of white trash- so I say that is a racial slur.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Usually when you hear "white trash" you hear trailer park near those words. In that sense I think that most people think of a person who is white. I don't hear this very often where I live and I don't say it very often. However, I think the decision of a slur comes from the person who is hearing it. There are lots of people who are proud to be considered white trash. It also goes that there are a lot of people who are proud of the "n" word. I think it also depends on the person who says it and when it is said. When a person says it in anger they are trying to provoke the other person, maybe racially. I have no problem with it and think it is childish for someone trying to go there. Like I said, I think it depends.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 12:41 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Of course it's a racial slur! Can you imagine the uproar of someone said "black trash"?!!! God forbid! Why... Al Sharpton & Jesse Jackson would be all over that!! Everything with certain people always has to go back to race... blah blah blah! They need to get over it and move on!
    ummm... yeah... I think it is a racial slur... against whites... but I think that's allowed... Oh well...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• In my family we say things like "Why did you paint your nails White Trash Red last night?" And some of do live in trailers, my mom is from Kentucky. And some of us have college degrees and live in the suburbs. So the white trash talk is a family joke, but it never leaves the family. But If I was out somewhere and heard some one say that about a student, or a coworker, I would definitely find it to be a put-down, and think of the speaker as a... bigot?? Interesting question.

whirlygirl

Answer by whirlygirl at 12:49 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Anon 1248, thats funny and it is so true. Al Sharpton would be on the radio in the morning having a fit.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 12:54 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Im black and white...mixed and i hear one side of the family who uses it as a funny insult toward one another and my other side uses it to actually insult

like the N word, which is banned from being used in my house due to its original meaning, white trash is a word that can be used by the race jokingly but if used by other races can be offensive and thus be a racial slur. and if any one had questions cuz im half and half I dont use either word N or white trash or any other slangs like that cuz I have respect for myslef
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 12:56 AM on Jul. 14, 2009