How can I get my 22 month old to stop hitting other kids?

My 22 month old gets really excited when he's around other children. He doesn't speak well yet, instead of speaking to other kids he's physical. I don't want to be too hard on him if this is normal for his development. Is this normal? And, how can I go about stopping it when he's at an age where listening is a problem?

HUNNY76

Asked by HUNNY76 at 12:25 AM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes. It is normal. I would explain to him BEFORE he starts to play with the other kids that his hands are for hugging and that hitting will get him removed from play time. I know he's young but if you explain this every time eventually he will understand what it means. And then follow through. If he hits remove him from the other kids. Either make him sit with you, or leave, or find somewhere else that he can play. Whatever it is that you need to do. Be consistant and he will learn.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:33 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• It is normal for his age BUT it's also normal for his age to start learning rules and boundaries.

Before you turn him loose, tell him what is and isn't allowed. Very simply. "Do not hit the other children." And tell him the consequences... "Hitting means you sit in time-out." Then enforce it. When you see him hit another child, you pick him up, firmly but calmly say "NO HITTING. TIME-OUT". And make him sit on a bench for 2 minutes. Hold him if necessary. Do not turn him loose mid-tantrum even if time is up. Keep him there until he is calm.

Be consistent and patient. He'll learn the rules.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:42 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• My little girl does this ..i talked to her dr and they said it was perfectly normal and that i just had to keep telling her no and make sure to make eye contact when i do or maybe even a timeout..a mintue for every year and eventually it will go away...Good luck :)
    Kristan27

Answer by Kristan27 at 12:50 AM on Jul. 14, 2009