My son changes his clothes too often. What would help him stop?

So far I moved all of his clothes into my walk in closet so when he should be taking a nap he doesn't change into another outfit. I did this because he was getting five or six outfits dirty a day (he'll change about 10 times a day). I am the one that gets to do the laundry. Now when he says that he needs to go to the bathroom he sneeks into my closet and takes another outfit out and when he comes out he is wearing a new outfit. I change his clothes back to his first outfit but now I just want some sujestions of what to do to make this stop. Is this just an age issue? If any of you have had this problem what did you do?

JenFunSniffer

Asked by JenFunSniffer at 12:27 AM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would do exactly as you said you do. Change him back into the first outfit. Be consistant. It may take a while but eventually he will learn that it doesnt matter if he changes because you're just gonna put him right back ninto the first outfit. Be consistant.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:31 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I owuld do what the 1st post said but maybe u can buy him stuff that doesnt matter if he changes. not like a bunch of clothes to contribute to laundry but some boy accessories like:

HATS
    BELTS
    LIGHT JACKETS
    BEANIES
    GLOVES

he can have fun changing those things a milliontimes and it wont matter
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 12:52 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I'm wondering if he is somwhere between 4 and 7yrs? I was a mad clothes changer in first grade. I would just change my clothes and throw what I took off on top of my dresser. I can still see the pile in my "minds eye".
    My hubby's parents put his clothes in their room too because he was a bed wetter. That didn't make him stop.
    So I would tough it out. but make him fold and put away his old outfit, the best he is able, everytime he shows up in something differen. I think after a few times of having to work he will decide he doesn't want to. If he is smart enough to dress himself you can totally talk with him about how he could be playing instead of having to put his clothes away. I agree with the be consistent answer. OH and be calm, maybe he is playing you.
    1Redapple

Answer by 1Redapple at 12:53 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• If the clothes are clean, yeah, let him put them away. Even if it doesn't stop, would it really bother you if the clothes in his closet are clean? I can think of other things you would rather he doesn't do with his time.... If they aren't, and that's why he's changing them, talk to him about being a little messy is ok. Let him see your clothes after you've been baking or something, and it's ok with you. Assuming it is of course. :)
    cocoamug

Answer by cocoamug at 12:29 PM on Jul. 14, 2009