Do you and your family cuss at each other?

My in-laws were in town this past weekend (they drive me crazy) and while they were waiting for my infant and I to wake up from a nap (I wasn't asleep, just laying there for the privacy) they were in there screaming about the television. My nine year old SIL isn't the best behaved child and she was trying to grab the remote to change the channel. This was the conversation between her mother:
"Jasmine, I will beat your a** if you change that channel!"
"You're not even watching it."
"Because you won't shut the f*** up!"
"You watch this all the time at home, b****."
"I do not. Now give me the GD remote!"
and it went on...

I was appalled. I don't want my son to be around this, and they are like this all the time. My husband uses foul language on occasion, but I've asked him not to around my son or I and he is getting better. He never does around the baby.

Does this bother anyone else or was I just raised too sheltered?

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 12:32 AM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• OP sometimes you just have to tell people straight out how u feel if they dont stop oh well dont go visit hubby can go alone and if they come visit they must obey the house rules or leave thats that. so if you tell them how u feel and that its bothering you, you can at least have peace of mind knowing that you said something.
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 1:03 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• No that type of behavior would really shock me too. We do not cuss perioud in our home. These people need to really learn how to talk to their child so that the child will then follow behind and not talk like them.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 12:35 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Well, my DH is a military man. ...so he cusses a lot. But NEVER to our children. I would be very upset if my inlaws came over here talking like that TO ANYONE. I would talk to them about it. Just say "hey, i'd like to talk to you guys about something. When you guys are over at my house could you watch your langauge. I really dont want my kids picking it up and getting in trouble at school." or whatever. If they cant respect that, then they cant come over.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:36 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I couldn't tolerate that! That's just awful. I have never cussed. My husband uses minor curse words (no F-word or GD) and I am trying to get him to stop that so our son doesn't pick it up when he starts talking. But he has never cussed AT me or the baby. I don't understand how parents can talk to their children like that.
    isamari

Answer by isamari at 12:43 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• we cuss not at eachother but at my moms house theres a non cussing rule but I always break it cuz i say fuck or shit at least once a day, but im watching myself cuz im preg now and dont want a bad word to be my babies 1st word and dont want my baby to even know those words.

but it does bother me when the cuss words are directed to someone. my aunt and her kids do that ll the time, call eachother bitches and sluts and its just weird, but they know not to do that with me cuz I'll kick them out my house or hang up the phone one them...they can at least respect that
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 12:46 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• My family has to much respect for each other then to cuss like that, my husband has a potty mouth sometimes but not around our kids
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 12:46 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• When my husband and I met, I had picked up foul language. I was eighteen and all of my friends did so I did, too. When I became pregnant I cut it out because it was time for me to be an adult now and set an example for my family. My husband respects my wishes to avoid speaking around our son like that, but not me. I told him it bothers me and hurts my feelings, but he doesn't seem to care because I'm a hypocrite since I used to speak that way. It really does hurt my feelings and hurts my spirit to hear them yell at each other like that. I have experienced anxiety attacks from being around them because it is painful almost to spend time with them.

I know that sounds silly but I can't really explain it.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 12:47 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• just put ur foot down and tell them its time for them to leave...guarantee when they see you mean business they'll stop
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 12:49 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• That's the thing. I feel like they don't take into consideration my feelings at all. We drove down to visit with them (they live a couple of hours away) and my son started getting diarrhea and running a temperature and I felt we needed to go home so he could see his pediatrician or atleast call her (they live in a town with 200 people and no reception). My MIL just exclaimed she can take care of him and if he got worse they would take him to the emergency room the next town over. I didn't feel comfortable with that at all, but they insisted it was fine and so did my husband. I ended up getting so stressed I made myself sick with a migraine and was down the whole trip. My son ended up fine.

I started realizing I have this undying hate for them growing because of this and that is wrong. I don't want to feel that way but I have no idea what else to do. I wish I could just get rid. But that is selfish.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 12:54 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I personally don't like it. I cuss but not at kids. Usually to myself or if I am mad and talking to an adult. i.e. I just went out 5 minutes ago and my brother was out there in his yard and he was still finding fireworks the kids threw in his yard. We went off on a rant with "Next year these motherfu*&^r's are not doing sh&t because we are all staying home. My brother was more upset but we are a private cussing type of family. Now his GF's side of the family is LOUD and don't care who's around. Even if they love you they "lovingly say "get over here bit$%"! lol IDK. But your situation was so not cool.
    Mamasita98

Answer by Mamasita98 at 12:54 AM on Jul. 14, 2009