i asked earlier about being sick while pregnant, but is there ever a reason to go to the hospital because you're sick??

by the time i asked earlier about being sick while pregnant, the advice was to call my doctor, but the office had already closed & wont be open again until 9am tomorrow. i was wondering if there is ever a reason to go to the hospital when you're sick? as in are there any symptoms that would be more worrisome than just the sniffles?? i am currently 24weeks pregnant & since last night have been experiencing a constricting sinus way, a sore scratchy throat, & a cough. well, when i woke from my nap i realized that my cough has become a lot more gurgly & my chest hurts when i inhale. i am also a lot more achy all over, like how i get with the flu but without the fever & vomiting. i think this worries me more since i haven't been this sick in a couple years & now to top it off i'm pregnant & worried about my lil man. any advice??

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 1:30 AM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Oh and good news, your LO is perfectly fine as long as you keep hydrated! Get some OJ down each day too, to strengthen that immune system. BUt colds and the flu don't go through the placenta, so your baby is fine!
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 4:18 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I had a cold when I was pregnant and I just dealt with it but if your concerned about it I would just call ask a nurse at your hospital and they can help you, but a good way to make your cold go away is take a lemon cut it in half and squeeze the juice into your mouth and swallow it.

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:35 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Well, first of all in the hospital they will give you some Tylenol. If some symptoms don't go away then they will start giving you antibiotics thru the IV. Now when a woman is more than 20 weeks pregnant, she has to go to the labor and delivery area. If you're sick, the baby is sick. I went to the hospital twice: the first because I had a 105 fever and it turned out I had a bad urinary tract infection and the other was ruptured membrane which stopped the next day. I never went vecause of a bad cold. Try some Tylenol. Go to hospital if you get fever.
    Shamerika

Answer by Shamerika at 2:25 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• If you have the flu they would rather you stay home, unles...
    1) you're having serious trouble breathing. Not just a cough or a chest ache from congestion/coughing
    2) you have a very very high fever and are delerious/confused
    3) you cough up blood
    4) symptoms of menigitis (stiff neck, fear of light, vomiting, confusion, high fever, joint swelling, and a rash that looks like a bruise). The main ones would be the severely stiff neck.
    5) You have severe vertigo
    6) become dehydrated
    7) severe vomiting and/or Diarrhea

If it is the flu (which it sounds like) stay home and get lots of rest. Be sure to keep hydrated and take OB approved meds to reduce fever, namely tylenol. Keep an eye on your fever too. WHen the fever and other flu symptoms go away, but you begin to experience symptoms of bronchitis that will not go away, call your doctor for an appointment.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 4:16 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I had alot of the same problems turned out i had a sinus infection and an upper respitory infection you need to call your dr right away doo they can get it fixed when you through up is it like sinus dranige as long as it is a clear color you dont have a infection but when it starts to change color that could mena your getting infection deffiantly dont wait unless you want to continue being miserable good luck
    newmom183

Answer by newmom183 at 4:48 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• call the doc in the morning.....u could have an infection or it could be nothing either way..ur worried so trust ur gut
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 4:59 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I had the stomach flu when I was 4 months pregnant. I went to the ER after 3 days of not being able to keep ANYTHING down. My blood work showed that my potassium was dangerously low and I had to be admitted to get potassium through an IV and be monitored. I am very grateful that I went, and they told me not to wait so long next time.
    Anonymous