How are people dealing with their "terrible two year olds" in the grocery store?

I can't take my daughter to stores with shopping carts anymore because she throws tantrums and tries to push our cart and anyone else's cart all over the place. If we say "no no" or try to pick her up, she screams and throws a fit.

Aymiee

Asked by Aymiee at 1:33 AM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• oh lord I feel your pain my son will be 2 on the 24th of this month and he has just become a little monster
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 1:34 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• dont know where u live but u can try and find a store where they have small carts for kids. olivers market in califorinia has them so that way she can feel included...I think 2 year olds have big egos and want to do everything but arent able to cuz they're 2 so it frustrates them
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 1:38 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• i tell my 2 yr old if she doesnt behave we'll leave!
    queenamy

Answer by queenamy at 1:40 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• my 3 year old threw a bit of a tantrum at our grocery store just yesterday. luckily, i had hubby's help so i had him continue the shopping while i took her outside & reasoned with her for a few minutes. sometimes you just need to take them out of the situation for them to calm down. my 1 year old is the same way with the shopping carts. she HAS to push it. so i'll just hold her and let her hold on to the handle bar. it's difficult, but we manage. with your little one, i'd advise constant conversation and distraction to keep his mind off pushing carts & throwing fits. have him help you pick out the groceries. i hope this helps at least a little. the distraction method works wonders with my girls
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 1:41 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Oh God don't even get me started on tantrums I thought I was the only one, I always get such dirty looks from people I hate it my son started his tribole two's at about 13 months he is now almost four and it is still hell to go to the store with him, he like to run off and if I don't turn down the aisle he wants he falls on his fours and screams, so one time I decided to put him on a kids leash so he didn't run around so he got on all fours and started barking I was so embarrassed, but he has been melowing out a tiny bit, but I still try and go to the store when my hubby comes home

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:48 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• My son just turned one and has been throwing grocery store fits since he could walk at 10 months! He REFUSES to sit in the cart, unless you let him in the big area. Then he continually throws each item out of the cart OVER AND OVER again. He yells, screams, and tries to climb out.
    Just recently, I have to hold him while he pushes the cart. If I put my hand on the bar to correct him before he hits the wall, he pushes my hand away and screams. No idea what to do other than leave him at home when I grocery shop.
    I just hope this is all a phase. lol.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 2:05 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• My son was a nightmare to take to the grocery sometimes. I got to where I would go only after he had a nap. And I have left a full buggy sitting right in the middle of the aisle more than once. My motto was if he didn't behave, we'd leave. He tried to call my bluff but I showed him up. Now he's 4 and sometimes he still wants to take off and look at something else. I have a hand on the side of the buggy rule. If his hand is not on the side of the buggy, it doesn't move and neither do I. I don't care how long it takes, we'll sit there all day. He has a habit of grabbing the buggy as soon as we get one now. If he's good, we grab some kind of food he wanted or go to the dollar store after and get a reward. Another thing that helped was the Meijer in the next town had car style buggies with tv's that played cartoons.
    thefiremanswife

Answer by thefiremanswife at 2:14 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• My son is either sitting in the seat in the cart or I'm wearing him in the mei tai carrier. I only have issues when he's tired and the mei tai makes it so he can sleep if needed.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 2:22 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• my son turned two yesterday and the worst he does is gets mad when my hubby puts him i the cart...if i do it he knows better......mama is mean.....
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 4:46 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Well I have a few different methods.. Somtimes if I only need a few things and I know she's being a stinker that day..I bring along her little pink cart and let her push while I get the few items I need. This obviously cant work all the time so another thing is I let her push a normal big cart while I hold it and direct her. She does really well with that too..It really keeps her busy. Other times if I need to get in and get the job done I will hold her and push the normal cart (she wont always sit in it of course) but I talk to her about what I'm buying/looking at/picking up..That usually keeps her attention too..I guess she feels like I'm interacting with just her. I'll tell her to hold something (non breakable obviously) and let her be incharge of that item. Soooo if all else fails I have one of those small doodle pros that I keep in her bag and of course snacks. (never fails shes not hungary til we get in the store) lol.
    armysmitty

Answer by armysmitty at 5:33 AM on Jul. 14, 2009