Bible verse? about what to do if a person won't accept your apology

Is there a passage in the bible talking about what to do if a person refuses your apology or at least your attempts to apologize?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:21 AM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't know of a verse. But if you have done your part and apologized then you have done your part. You have to leave it up to the other person to either accept or not accept. Meditate and pray or even speak to a member of clergy about it. I hope things get better for you.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:43 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I will have to look up the exact reference, but I use the one that speaks of shaking the dust from your feet and moving on. Basically, biblically, we are to go to the person offended and make our apologies. Say your peace. If that person doesnt receive you, then you are to move on. Give them some time to process and maybe they will come around. By not forgiving you, its themselves they are hurting. You should sleep well at night knowing you did the right thing. Its always a great thing to see our mistakes and be able to say, hey I was wrong. Humility is important. Its not always going to be received though. Just be as sincere as possible, then back off and let that person process. Be nice and polite when you see them as to not start more drama, but let them come to you. Theres NOTHING you can do if they refuse to forgive. You have to just move on from that relationship. Im sorry that youre going through that.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 5:04 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Just let it go, you done your part. Its up to them now. I have step-kids that treat me and my husband the same way. They are mad at us for some reason, and has carried this around with them all their life. And they think that dad (my husband) has not been a good father to them, and has not been there for them just because he has not lived up to their standards. But their standards was far beyond what he could do. They have caused alot of drama over the years, and they quit coming around. We both have oppolijuzed for whatever we have/have not done, but they still hate us both. But we both learnng to let it go and not bother us. Because we can't change the other person. If they want to be bitter and angry, thats them.
    toyota

Answer by toyota at 6:35 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• “If another believer[ sins against you, go privately and point out the offense. If the other person listens and confesses it, you have won that person back. But if you are unsuccessful, take one or two others with you and go back again, so that everything you say may be confirmed by two or three witnesses. If the person still refuses to listen, take your case to the church. Then if he or she won’t accept the church’s decision, treat that person as a pagan or a corrupt tax collector. I tell you the truth, whatever you forbid on earth will be forbidden in heaven, and whatever you permit on earth will be permitted in heaven."

Matthew 18:15-19
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:03 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Now, that verse is about someone who has done something to offend you, not the other way around. But you can still glean the principle. If there is a matter that can't be resolved, you should take it to them privately, then with help of others, then with the church (if your friend is a Christian).

You can't really force someone to take your apology. You've done your part and God has forgiven you even if they haven't.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:05 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I agree with November's assesment, but I believe in all practicality these are major life events. If you can move on with life and it isn't impacting others then I would just leave it alone. Continue to pray for them and be as friendly as they will allow but you cannot forse the event.

Now if it is a major event and you need to then by all means get others involved as our friend has suggested.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:35 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• forgive up to sevn times seventy meaning always forgive
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 9:42 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• just pray for them and/or get a bible and just open it and what ever verse your eyes land on that show guide you
    TXMOM1980

Answer by TXMOM1980 at 9:58 PM on Jul. 14, 2009