For people who follow the Bible

How many of you have actually studied and researched the Bible? Not just sat down and read it and picked apart the potential meanings of words and verses, but actually looked into the history and original translations of parts of it, etc.?

I was just wondering, because I notice that a lot of questions that turn in the direction of people giving verses to support claims get kind of shot down by people who do research the verses. An example is like the verses about witchcraft and what they originally said. I just wondered how many people take the time to look into the history of their holy book so they are fully prepared to back up their arguments and whatnot.

If you haven't, it's really interesting sometimes to read about it and read what things said, better translated.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 5:04 AM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm constantly studying the Bible. I don't read a passage without reading it in context of the history/tradition/time/mentality/language/etc in which it was written. I'm no scholar, but I do prefer to dig deeper than just a personal reading and interpretation.
    One of my favorite things is to learn about the history and development of religion, to see how and why certain passages/traditions/doctrine/etc were included, what they meant then, and what that has changed as the religion has progressed. I like looking at the roots of the religions, seeing where they came from, what influenced them, and how they progressed.
    Right now I'm reading "A History of God" which is pretty informative, and I'm hoping to get into Babylonian/Caanan/etc mythology here soon, to understand the faiths the Semites broke from to follow YWH, and how they influenced their understanding.
    IMO, the more you know, the more you understand!
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:48 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I have, and it really doesn't change much of anything. People will "shoot down" (or attempt to) anything that they are opposed to, whether it is historically or Biblically based.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 5:13 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I have, DH and I both find it facinating! Here is something interesting. You know that married men could have concubines/servants for sex. However God condemns adultery right? We were thinking that there is a possibility it refers to an all out emotional affiar and not as much sex. I'd have to speak to a biblical scholar, and its just a theory. Granted that doesn't mean I'm gonna let DH go sleep with some hussy, LOL!
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 5:48 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I find it very interesting that the only reason people who are not Christians & those who like to criticize the Bible & Bible believing Christians "study" the Bible, is in an attempt to find flaws, & discredit everything in it.

It's funny how so many who disbelieve the validity of the Bible, use it's content to try to "preach" at Christians, or try to show us how wrong we are in our beliefs.
    Why is that? If you don't believe the Bible is really the Word of God or that anything in it is real, why not just stay away from it and not waste your time?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:04 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• To the comment: "I have, DH and I both find it facinating! Here is something interesting. You know that married men could have concubines/servants for sex. However God condemns adultery right? We were thinking that there is a possibility it refers to an all out emotional affiar and not as much sex. I'd have to speak to a biblical scholar, and its just a theory. Granted that doesn't mean I'm gonna let DH go sleep with some hussy, LOL!"

The thing a lot of people fail to recognize is the GREAT differences between the Old and New Testaments. In the OLD testament, the people were allowed to do things by God under certain circumstances. The prophet Abraham had a son with his wife's handmaiden, so I don't think it was just an emotional affair. I think there's a lot we don't understand about this culturally because we're somewhat imprisoned by our western thinking.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 8:47 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• wow..anon 804...parallel thoughts here!! but just for kicks...there is scripture showing even satan could spew verses when he wanted to. LOL-that's what comes to my mind, before i discredit a non-believer's interpretation.
    you can study the scriptures all day long, all year, all your life. the greek/hebrew/latin translations..historical data, compare one translation to another..if you don't believe it, and live it (or at least strive to), its of no use...people spout out scripture for any convenience, or like they are just known proverbs of some dead chinese guy. i think most people have the ability of discerning how scripture is used, to profit men or to profit God. those that use it to profit themselves..well..aren't concerned with the things of God, or righteous living. Its not necessary to be a theological scholar to believe and use the bible...a child knows right from wrong, before they know how to read. :))
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:05 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• How did this turn into "if you don't believe and live by it..." when the question had nothing to do with that subject? And just because someone doesn't believe in the Christian God and follow the Christian holy book does not mean that they can't find things within the religion and holy book interesting. Just like a Christian may follow the Bible and live the Christian way, but may also be interested in understanding the history of their religion and holy book, so that they may have a greater understanding of why some things were the way they were and why some things were acceptable and unacceptable, etc.

This is not a freaking debate or "I'm right, you're wrong" kind of drama infested question, so anyone trying to turn it into that sort of thing, kindly take your drama elsewhere.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 9:21 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• i guess you're referring to me, op. you said, '..so they are fully prepared to back up their arguments and whatnot.' that says to me, you've encountered people who you think have only used certain scriptures to their convenience..and you are actually asking them to live and fully comprehend what they read, aren't you? being fully prepared is more than having simple knowledge, to a real xtian.
    there are many references to social acceptances, vs. Godly acceptance in the bible..isn't this what fuels your question? whether its (the 'debate') historically/grammatically accurate vs. a believer's faith-knowledge when they use scripture?
    i in no way intended to debate your ?..it isn't debatable. i was simply answering from the xtian perspective, as you inquired of 'those who follow the bible'. besides, i'm not the analytical type.....bottom-line gal, that's me!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:07 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Well, as you know, I'm not a "bible believer" but I have read and studied it for years. I find it fasinating and I'm always supper shocked to find out the truth behind so many of todays beliefs.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:12 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I know where you are coming from. And, I find it really odd when a follower of the bible shots down a response from a non-follower just because we don't "get it" the way they do. I have studied religion (several, actually). Maybe not as in depth as others, but when I find something from one of them interesting, I research more and ask others from that religion to elaborate. Obviously, I pass by things that I don't agree with, but I have several beliefs that have come from MANY different religions. Like my belief in love your neighbors as yourself. That comes directly from the bible.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 10:13 AM on Jul. 14, 2009