Gay Couple Arrested for Kiss on Cheek

Did you hear about this?
"Matt Aune said he and his partner, Derek Jones, were walking home from a concert on the night of July 9 when they cut through the Main Street Plaza near the Salt Lake City Mormon temple. Aune, 28, said he gave Jones, 25, a hug and kiss and that the two were then approached by a security guard, who asked them to leave, telling them they were being inappropriate and that public displays of affection aren't allowed on the property. He said other guards arrived and the men were handcuffed. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints said that the men became argumentative and refused to leave after being asked to stop their "inappropriate behavior."
I don't care if it is private property there is NO WAY they would have asked a heterosexual couple to leave for a hug and a kiss on the cheek....stupid hateful people drive me crazy!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:27 AM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints said that the men became argumentative and refused to leave...

"I don't care if it is private property..."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

There in lies the issue! Defiance over respecting OTHER people's rules! This is the kind of stuff that sets their movement back, and perpetuates the "ill-will!"

Why must we respect them, when they don't respect us? Can't have it both ways!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:12 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• "I don't care if it is private property..."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I said that not "them" .....if they had asked me and dh to leave beacuse he kissed me on the cheek I would have freaked out on them!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:27 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Why should the rules not apply to them just because they're gay? Here again...the same old thinking that gays should have special privileges! If they were asked to stop their inappropriate behavior, they should have and without argument... But no... why such the attitude of entitlement? Why do they & you for that matter think they should be able to defy rules & laws just because they think they are entitled to special treatment?? They got what they deserved!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:43 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Rent-a-cops can't really "arrest" can they? Op, I think a better choice of words would be, "detain", I suppose... But err, oh well..I am all for ssm, but these "issues" concern me... If it is private property and a religion teaches against it~why create waves. Why not respect the private prop. Move down a few blocks and re-engage in the PDA? They [the church] have a right on PRIVATE PROPERTY to refuse certain behavior. But some people want to start drama. They [gay couple] because they thought they could seize a moment for drama, jmho... There are more constructive ways to go about getting your point across. Start by rallying on PUBLIC property, then get the laws changed....  Small steps to progress. Not forcing behavior on private property.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:49 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Good for them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:02 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Private property you must obey the rules or you can be asked to leave & if you put up a fuss you can be detained until cops get there to handle the situation. You dont want into a theme park that says "no soiciting" (sp) on the gate & start handing out flyers & coupons for another theme park. That theme park would then ask you to leave & if you fuss about it they'll detain you & call the cops. Its all the same thing.
    PS I am not against gays.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 8:03 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Considering where this happened, I am not finding myself surprised. I don't know why they would be. I will admit that I am not a huge fan of PDA, hetero or otherwise, so I am not so astounded at the request that they stop. I think asking them to leave was a little out of line, but that's just me. The original post doesn't really paint a solid picture of the events, so it's hard for me to have a solid opinion on it.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:35 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• As a member of the LDS church, I can tell you that on our private properties we have strict rules and rights given to us because we are a religious organization. Any other religious building has been given the same rights if they own the land and building. The church was well within their rights to ask them to leave, and since they fought and didn't comply with the request, the church is well within their legal rights to have them arrested. I went to school at BYU and while there we had a pro-homosexual group come and rally. They were told that they could use the perimeter of campus to peacefully have a table and hand out stuff, but do not enter the property. They didn't and it was fine. When people respect the rules of a private organization...private land owners, there shouldn't and won't be a problem. Also, the guards on Temple Square wouldn't be allowed to arrest people necessarily, but they work closely with city cops.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 8:36 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• It was private property and they were with in their rights to ask the couple to leave. to leave. It amazes me that gay people seem to think that others rules shouldnt apply to them, even when they are on private property, simply because they are gay.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 8:36 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• i think america is just afraid of its sexuality... i dont see the prob with them giving a hug and a kiss i dont care whose property they're on and if anyone reads the bible it says not to judge...so why judge based on sexuality...granted i know it says no same sex relationships but personal opinion the no judge outweighs that...people need to just get over it... i bet if that was a man and a woman nothing would have been said....LOVE is LOVE people get over it!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Jul. 14, 2009