I am researching and trying to find out ways to start my own buisness from home.

My mom and I are going to try and start our own business and need a lot of advice. How can we start it? What all do you need to do to get it started? Do you have to have a license to start it? I was told now is not a good time to start it and that you won't make any money until like 3 years from now is that true?

njcsc_03

Asked by njcsc_03 at 8:20 AM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

• Depends on what type of business you want to start. Look at your state website about starting a business and they usually have a walk thru of questions and at the end tells you what forms need to be filled out. You can file all the forms yourself but you need to know which ones. State websites are helpful and so is the IRS.gov webiste.
    mschanng

Answer by mschanng at 8:22 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I have put together a series of work at home articles.  You can find them all in my Journal here at Cafemom:

Work at Home Series

They do contain information pertaining to your question.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:33 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I own my own business from home and I love the company that I work with. I do not sell, stock, or deliver any products. The company that I am with has been given the blue torch award from the Better Business Bureau and has been listed in many business magazines and has a great reputation! It is a debt-free, privately owned company known as the wellness company. If you are interested go to my website (that they will give you for free to advertise) www.workathomeunited.com/heathers and fill out the form to learn more information and you could get started today!
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 8:33 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I have 2 little ones running around my house and I just recently started an at home biz, too. The comp I work with just recently won an award with the BBB so it is no scam! If interested in getting more info, you can visit my website at www.beingunited.com or email me at rebeccabowen@live.com. I would love to talk to you and get you more info! Thanks, hope we can talk soon!
    Rebecca
    Rebecca325

Answer by Rebecca325 at 9:37 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• As usual it's ads for Direct Selling things that are many replies. The woman isn't asking to join a company, she is talking about starting her own business....there is a difference.

Usualy you need a DBA for starters, which is a certified piece of paper giving you permission to use the business name you choose (DBA = Doing Business As)! The other licenses you may need depends on what state you live in. Most states require you to get either a Tax ID Number or an EIN (a federal level number called employer identification number) and sometimes you need both...some states get picky and require you to put an ad in a local paper stating your business name (don't know much about that as here in NY you don't)!

For my Carpet Cleaning business that we run from home we have the DBA and the Tax Id number, these together allowed us to open a business checking account to accept payment in our business name.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:16 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• You have to keep immaculate business records and usualy when you are starting out you have to pay State taxes quarterly....in NY they do allow you to do it all at once at tax time, but I prefer quarterly so I don't spend. We also put federal tax money aside as well each month.

We get our taxes done by a professional as there are so many deductions and complicated laws and such I couldn't handle it. I'd eventually love an accountant to handle the books but for now I do the weekly record keeping.

It is generaly recommended that if you start a new business and it's your sole source of income to have enough money to live off of for at least the first year as you usualy spend most of what you make advertising and building the business. But if you or your husband have another job and this is a small at home business I don't think that's an issue.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:19 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Start with your business plan; this is the roadmap to run and grow your business. I strongly recommend joining at least one industry specific networking group/professional association, and at least one general networking group, such as the National Association of Women Business Owners.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:29 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• The first thing you should do is make a list of all the things your enjoy doing. then all the things you know how to do.(even simple things, like write a childerns book on how to tie your shoes) pay attention to you children they will give you ideas and not even realize it. One you have a few ideas, google them and see what the market is on the net, then check your phone book to see what your area has to offer similar to you idea. Do a little research locally to see if your competition is making any money. You might want to offer to work for a competitor for a short time to get a feel for the market. Once you realize that you can make money on your idea, break from your competitor. Dont steal clients or ideas...not Kool! do your own thing uniquely! Key word-be different and unique! Check when the phone book is to be published next. call the phone company advertisement dept. They have different publications for white pages &
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 12:27 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• continued... yellow pages. You automatically get a free listing if you purchase a land line number. They have different rules for cell phone number listings & dont always want to offer a cell phone free listing because the phone company doesnt get the market on it. the phone book is a marketing tool to the phone companies. If its going to be a while before publication, you can call the phone numbers in the phone book to see if any numbers have fallen. You can sometime pick up a fallen number where someone went out of business. If the phone company will release it to you, you might want to consider that as an instant option to getting a phone line quickly. Now make a business plan. concentrate on marketing. Do not get marketing and advertising crossed. they are two different things..anyways this is getting rather lengthy..if you want any more ideas/info. just holler...good luck!
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 12:38 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I have information on my blog, but it'd help to know what you're interested in doing. tarasextraincome.blogspot.com
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 1:22 PM on Jul. 15, 2009