How do I get my son to sleep in his crib after all this time?

He has slept with me for the last six months, he is a yr old. I know I shouldn't have but it started when he got sick. Now I am not sleeping well and I know he needs to go in there. But he screams bloody murder. He starts getting antsy when we walk into this room. Like he thinks his crib is a cage please help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:26 AM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Can u move him there after he falls asleep? Or how about putting a twin size bed in that room and sleep with him in there until he's comfortable sleeping there. And then you can leave once he falls asleep.
    mschanng

Answer by mschanng at 8:29 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I co-slept w/ my DD as well b/c she got sick too. I wanted her out of my bed for a long time however, knew she hated her crib so kept putting it off until she was big enough to go in a regular bed. I put her in her bed at 16 mo, she is also a lg child too the size of a 2 yo. The only advice I have for ya is if you wish to wait until that point w/ ur LO otherwise I wish u good luck. If you have any questions as to how I put my DD in her bed then just PM me.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 8:31 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• After reading mschanng response I just want to tell ya that waiting until he falls asleep is the wrong thing to do. If you just wait until he falls asleep if he wakes up w/o u in his room then he'll freak out every time & cry then u'll have to go back in to sooth him each time. My DD had to learn to fall asleep in her room w/o me otherwise I'd be in there all night long.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 8:33 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Does he sleep through the night? That's gonna be harder if he's not.

Take your crib, take the front drop gate off, and push it against your bed (our is wall/crib/bed). Then get him used to sleeping in there. After a week, a month, 2 months, however long it takes, seperate the crib and the bed, like just put the drop gate back up. Then after a while move the crib to the other side of the room, and finally, to his room (if that's where you want it). Take it slow. It took a year to get used to sleeping in your bed, it will take time to get used to sleeping out of it.

AND, there is NOTHING wrong with co-sleeping. You did a great thing not a bad thing.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 9:10 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• My son was the same way for a long time and we all lost alot of sleep because co-sleeping just wasn't for us. My DH hated to see him cry so he was no help. My DH went of town for a week when our son was about 14 months old and I took that as an opportunity to get him to sleep in the crib. The first night I read him books in his room for about 20 minutes, then put him in the crib and said goodnight. Of course he threw a huge fit but I just kept going in every 10 minutes and rubbing his back. The first night was rough and he cried for about 2 hours straight (he even made himself throw up). He eventually fell asleep and of course I felt awful but each night he got better and before my DH was home he was willfully laying down in his crib at night for sleep. Now we all sleep better, he's a happier kid and now we have a great bedtime routine that the 3 of us spend together. Try the routine-stick it out-you won't regret it!
    Momincollege23

Answer by Momincollege23 at 9:57 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• toddler bed if he won't sleep in his room what about putting the toddler bed in your room?
    amommy2a2yrold

Answer by amommy2a2yrold at 10:29 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• We got my dd a double bed when we were ready to switch. My husband spent a week in there with her, and after that, she was fine. He started laying with her and getting up after she was asleep, then before she was asleep. Now, after our routines are over, we kiss her and leave. She says night night. The double bed was great for us. It's on the floor, so if she rolled out, no problem, but she never has.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 10:38 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I'm sorry but letting a child cry for 2 hours until they throw up is wrong. I don't care if you go in every 10 minutes or every 3 seconds. Ya, we ALLL want some sleep, but that is WRONG. THere are much better ways to go about it, that don't just involve oyur own feelings of wanting rest.

Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 11:46 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• 'I'm sorry but letting a child cry for 2 hours until they throw up is wrong. I don't care if you go in every 10 minutes or every 3 seconds. Ya, we ALLL want some sleep, but that is WRONG. THere are much better ways to go about it, that don't just involve oyur own feelings of wanting rest.'

Ummm, sorry to Arkaidy-all I see is criticism and you never did explain any "better ways to go about it". I think that you've just got to stick to a constant routine and your child will eventually get used to sleeping in his/her own bed-good luck!
    Anonymous

• Uhhhmmm, sorry anon, if you looked a few posts up I replied with my suggestions.

Crying until you vomit should not be an acceptable routine. There are ways (LIKE POSTED ABOVE) to get a child to sleep without making them cry uncontrollably. It just takes that extra effort, which I am more than happy to give my daughter.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 1:32 AM on Jul. 20, 2009