• In the Spotlight:

lost in the crowd

i have feeling my daughter is going to be lost in the crowd.she has an iep.just for reading.she plays soccer (not on the travel teamvery important in my town....she doesnt mke friends easy.she is shy and withdrawn.she is in girl scouts.(last year was a horrible mess.)but the woman that made it that way resined.i feel like she is getting lost.in todays fast pace society people are already sprucing there kids up for high school and what not.she is an empath....so she is also very sensitive.my bff emailed me right before she went on vaca and said no more im not going to be friends any more.which means her daughter.she put her daughter on some high soccer team in another town and now she thinks her daughter is to good,well she is not because she didnt make the best team in this town...so we are trying cheerleading in the fall.

nana77500

Asked by nana77500 at 8:39 AM on Jul. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'm dealing with some of the same things with my 12 yo right now, and I know how hard it is to watch your girl going through this. I'm trying to get my DD involved in art classes and non-competitive things where she can have fun without everything being a competition. My daughter is also a late bloomer compared to her friends, and they have just grown past her. I'm hoping it will get better in a few years when she catches back up, but until then I am trying to be supportive and help her find things that make her happy even when her social calendar is empty.

Another thing you might consider doing is talking to your daughter's teachers and school couselor (counselors might even be available in the summer). They might have some ideas about things your daughter might could get involved with where she can shine and have fun.

Good luck!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:34 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• You mention lots of things that your daughter is in but are these her choices or yours? Step back a bit and really talk to her about what she wants. The activities you mention do require a lot of team work but that just may not be her. Would she be more interested in the yearbook? Choir? Band? School play?

Let her know that it's ok to have fun on the regular soccer team versus having to travel all the time and spend all your time imersed in soccer. Let her spread her wings where she wants. Yes she's shy and you should have her involved in something but give her several options to chose from and not just the ones that are popular. She just may surprise you as to where she finds her niche at school
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:41 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• ya she is not on the soccer team...shes in girl scouts..she wanted to do cheerleading.i agree the competitive sports arent so good for her.she is only in elementary school so they dont have chorus or band yet.though my middle daughter did french horn for 5 yrs.we have 1 more yr till middle school.then there will be more things for her to do besides sports.
    nana77500

Answer by nana77500 at 11:11 AM on Jul. 14, 2009