WHEN DOES RELIGION TURN EVIL??

I GOT A PERFECT EXAMPLE OF THIS YESTERDAY IN A THREAD IN THE RELIGION SECTION. AFTER HUNDREDS OF RESPONSES MOST OF WHICH WERE MADE BY ONE OF OUR LOCAL TROLLS, I REALIZED HOW COMPLETELY INMERSED SOME OF THESE FAITHFUL FOLLOWER ARE, THEIR END JUSTIFIED BY ANY MEANS, AND I MEAN "ANY"! BLIND OBEDIENCE TURNS THEM INTO MONSTERS THAT DO NOT CARE WHAT THEY HAVE TO SAY OR DO TO CONDEM THOSE WHO DON'T AGREE TO THE FIRES OF HELL. THERE ABSOLUTE TRUTH CLAIM IS NOT DEBATABLE AND ANYONE WHO INTERFERES WILL GET THEIR WRATH.

IS THIS WHERE RELIGION TURNS EVIL?? WHEN THEY FORGET ABOUT THE LOVE JESUS TAUGHT US AND PROFESS UTTER DISGUST TO ANYONE WHO DOESN'T FOLLOW? THIS TROLL EVEN WENT AS FAR AS SETTING A TRAP FOR ME IN ANOTHER QUESTION, (HER WORDS) TO HAVE A GAY LYNCH MOB. THIS WOMAN WHO WAS SUPPOSEDLY QUOTING SCRIPTURE AND PROFESSING GODS WORDS WAS SPEWING HER HATE EVERY WHICH WAY, IS THIS RELIGION TURNED EVIL?

Asked by older at 8:54 AM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • I AM STOPPING THE FUEL TO THIS FIRE NOW!!! I JUST HOPE THAT THIS BITTER ANGRY WOMAN TAKES MY ADVICE AND SEEKS PROFESSIONAL HELP!!

Answer by older at 6:11 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• When the person who practices that religion uses their beliefs against someone. But I guess that makes the person "evil"not the religion. I think that the main message of most religions has been lost on the majority (or vocal minority) who uses bits and pieces to look down on or hurt others. I like to think of the church missions and charities when I think of Christians rather than those sitting in their houses here on CM spewing hate! I am Greek Orthodox, just for the record.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 8:57 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Most religions have the same basic philosophies of love and tolerance. Religion turns evil when people forget the message, and only remember the doctrine. They stop thinking for themselves and only spew out the words of others. This goes for ANY religion, and I've seen it in just about every one. Religion should make us better people, not more close-minded or vicious.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 8:58 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Personally, I think so. I have a lot of conservative Christian views because of my faith, but I would never condemn others because of them. That would go against commandments I believe I have received which tell me not to judge others and attempt to condemn them. That's not my place. I can't possibly know the hearts of those who are committing a so called "sin". That said, I think people can get very carried away in their faith, and they're so caught up in the doctrine, so to speak, that they forget to have faith. To let God take care of things that bother them. It's a hard thing to do, but if that's what you believe then.... Anyway, sorry people can be so rude. I have my views and issues, but I don't condemn people, at least I try not to.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 8:59 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Religion is EVIL. It causes war, death, destruction, ignorance and hate.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:08 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I actually posted a question about this the other day. You can see it here. I just finished reading the book that those warning signs came out of. I know the post you are talking about. And I know the person you speak of. And, I believe you are right. She exhibits a few of those signs herself. But, there's not much we can do. Other then ignore her. I know we aer both passionate, but we are laetting her win when we get into debate's with her. All of us that disagree with her need to ignore her and let her drown in her own twisted religion.

-Ashley

spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:08 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• anything that is man-made is destructible..religion is one of those things. men/women make religion(s) evil because of their selfishness, insecurities, and simply being afraid of what is 'different'.
    i didn't see the post OP is referring to, but i'm sure it prob did get mean or hateful. one person defending/accusing the other, or both doing the same. it happens. its human. its not religion. i see a lot of provocation on CM....posts provoking hatred/meanness in the name of curiosity, or opinions posed as questions. again, its not God/god(s) provoking..its people. "love trumps hate'' (quote from last nite's ' the big bang theory'--funny show!) i think overall, that is the message of most religions, yes. i think people tend to unconsciously feel if they can't do "?", then you shouldn't be allowed to "?"...people forget that sin is sin (if that's what the post was about)--"everyone else's sin is bigger than mine!"..so to speak.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:18 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Hate can come from any organization, religion and non-religion, consider the individual, not the whole group.
    MaryJane849

Answer by MaryJane849 at 10:07 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Religion in itself is not generally capable of being evil. It is when an individual with a personal agenda, biases, perconceived notions and an evil personality that uses the religion as an excuse to further their own purposes that religion becomes evil.

If you look at all of the horrible things done in the past in the name of Christianity i.e. murdering Jews, Cathars, Crusades, Knights of Templar and the poor Protestant behavior at the founding of the Americas you'll find that NONE of it was commanded nor supported by the Bible but for personal gain instead i.e. Knights of Templar were accused of including sins against the church in their initiation rituals and tortured and murdered because the king did not want to have to pay them back for their work during the Crusades. The king also wanted their religious relics and treasures to himself. That, dear friends, was politics and had nothing to do with TRUE religion.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:12 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Religion becomes evil when men try to control it. In the days when the priests talked to god and then the people religion was beautiful. But as a religion grows and becomes profitable, men want to be in control and they cut God out... It happens to ALL organised religions... One more reason I run from them all!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:15 AM on Jul. 14, 2009