X-rays during last trimester of pregnancy

I am almost 36 weeks pregnant and yesterday I had to go to hospital due to chest pains I was having. They did all sorts of tests and the doctor ordered for me to get a chest x-ray. I felt a little uncomfortable with that since I have always heard that it was dangerous for pregnant women to have x-rays. The tech told me that it usually pertains to women 17 weeks and under and they did shield my belly incase. I guess I just want to find out of any women out there who have had any x-rays done while pregnant and if it affected the baby in any way. I just want to ease my mind and not keep worrying that I have done something to harm my baby.

x03e09

Asked by x03e09 at 9:12 AM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had to have two x-rays done, once when I was 22 weeks, and another done when I was 30 weeks. The tech explained to me that up to a certain number of rads (i think that was the measurement) there is no affect on the baby. A normal regular x-ray is about 1/30th of that number. So unless you are getting 30 or 40 x-rays during pregnancy you will be just fine! Also you are far enough along that it won't affect the baby's genetic growth, bc he is already for the most part fully formed! Good luck and I wouldn't worry about it too much!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 9:18 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I had to have an xray when I was 34 weeks with my first pregnancy. They made me sign a waiver that I couldn't sue if something was wrong with my baby from the xray. He was fine though.
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 9:22 AM on Jul. 14, 2009