Can a 6 month old eat the same foods I eat for dinner but pureed and thinned with formula?

Minus the high allergy foods like nuts and hard to digest foods like milk?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 9:22 AM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sure. You don't even have to purree them if they can gum things. My son has been eating table foods since 5 months. He gets macaroni and spaghetti. Just cut what you are having into small pieces. We always have a veggie with dinner so he usually gets that, pees are great, we give him a bowl of them and he goes to town. He doesnt need teeth either really, my son never chews with his teeth since he only has the two bottom ones.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• What the first answer said - no need for pureeing or mashing - just go ahead and give lumps and chunks and your bub and pick them up and gnaw on them.

We never pureed or mashed our DDs food, she went straight to self feeding herself what we were eating at 6 months. Worked great, she loved it.

Check out this website - it's about baby-led-weaning, it shows lots of pictures of how capable 6 month olds are to start feeding themselves table foods rather than ever being spoon fed or using baby foods. -- http://babyledweaning.blogware.com/
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 9:34 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Skip purees! It is so pointless. Let them self feed early or you might have one of those babies that refuses to eat anything unless its from a spoon in your hand, lol. MY 8 month olds have been self feeding since 6 months. Its not about how much they eat but them learning. So dont worry about the amount, solids arent necessary, nutritionally, until 1 year.
    YoungTwinMommy

Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 10:23 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• o yes. the best gift I got was a hand held masher from my parents. plus if you expose them to spices and the like early on they should hopefully grow up liking that stuff. (we eat alot of spicy foods and although we don't feed the really spicy stuff we do give him slightly spicy gaucamole etc)
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 11:06 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• no its not ok.. not unless what you are mashing for them they have already tasted every ingredient and no prior allergic reactions to it. (pediatric nurse)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• i never pureed anything, i mashed it with a fork and he ate it just fine.
    prettymama0607

Answer by prettymama0607 at 11:39 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• No. Introduce one food at a time to check for reactions, wait three days before introducing another food. Start with the safest foods (avocado is an amazing first food). Veggies should come first, then fruits and grains. Tomatoes/citrus, dairy, wheat, strawberries, eggs, and anything that anyone in your family is allergic to should be held off until a year; whole nuts until 2-3 years; and meat should be held off (ideally) as long as possible.

So really, baby can't really eat what you eat for at least a year.

Super Baby Food is a great book for all your food questions.  Even if you don't make your own food it talks about what baby should have- when, how and why.

Good luck!

jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 12:40 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Jellyphish's answer is exactly what I'd say. You don't need to mash stuff up, but do start with easily gummed foods. Avocados are so great, because they've got good fats and are very mushy. Hold off on citrusy things, any fruits with seeds, and peel off the skins of pretty much everything.
    MelanieLouise

Answer by MelanieLouise at 12:52 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I get that you are supposed to introduce the foods one at a time so that if there is a reaction, you can pinpoint the allergen. But, how often does this happen? Really? And, what is seriously the problem. Oh no, I don't know which food my kid is allergic to? You probably figure it out pretty easily. Introducing two new foods at a time is not going to increase the allergy risk. People act like it kills children - it doesn't. They're sensitive to it or they aren't, no matter how many foods are introduced at one time.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 3:43 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Apex, it's also a matter of being easy on the digestive system because it's so immature. Isis, for example, used to react to kiwi because her body wasn't ready for it (she loves it now though). Since I knew right away it was the kiwi I was able to stop her problems immediately and prevented bigger ones from manifesting. Who knows how long it would've taken me to figure out if I had started out feeding her everything all at once, and who knows how many foods she'd have had a problem with at the same time, and who knows what bigger problems that could've caused in the meantime?
    Babies' bellies just aren't ready for most foods at 6 months.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 4:04 PM on Jul. 14, 2009