Do you moms really stay away from processed foods like you claim?

I hear all the time "processed foods, full of crap, would never feed it to my child". But come on, do you really feed your child perfectly 100% of the time??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Jul. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• Processed foods are what we eat in our household. I have a five year old, a six month old, I work full time, go to school full time, and have a fiance that does not cook. I don't usually have the time to prepare non-processed meals.

I do, however, look at package labels and try to purchase foods with good nutrition.

But what are you gonna do when a five year old only wants to eat mac-n-cheese and hot dogs??
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 10:08 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Processed foods are my friend.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 10:08 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I'm happy to say that do allow my son some processed food, but as the rare quick fix-it meal, not on a daily or even weekly basis. I've grown a lot in my shopping habits and have come to appreciate cooking more, but at the same time, he's 4, I work full-time and sometimes I throw a hotdog on for dinner. But I do avoid things like pre-packaged lunch meats like the plague, as well as most prepared meals, whether in a can like pre-made chili or frozen like fishsticks or frozen meals. Those I won't buy, and if you don't buy it, you can't eat it. I really do think food should "remember" where it came from in order to garner the most nutritional benefits of eating, but sometimes, you just gotta eat. I will say that even when I do buy processed foods, I'm very picky about what I get still and read the labels, but still allow for the hotdogs on sale to win, especially since we don't eat them that often.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:09 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• We eat processed food's but If i have time to make home made I do. Also as bassackwards as this sounds no kool-aide bunch of die and sugar
    amommy2a2yrold

Answer by amommy2a2yrold at 10:12 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I dont eat processed foods at all except for the occasional hot dog, but even when i eat those i make sure to buy the ones that are not as bad as some of the brands. I work full time, have a 23 month and a 4 month old and im the only one cooking in my home. It does not take that much time at all to cook healthy and tasty meals from scratch (home made mac & cheese is one of the easiest things to make from scratch).
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 10:14 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Everything in moderation is my motto.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:18 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• well cynthje aren't you just the perfect stepford wife.. i work 50 hrs a week hubby works over 80 and we have a teething 7 month old.. we eat out alot.. never know who will be home at what time! so nope no lil miss home maker here
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 10:22 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I try to balance out...one day we have boxed mac & cheese or something and the next night I make grilled chicken and fresh veggies. We eat a lot of both...it just depends on my mood and energy. And, frankly, cooking healthy from scratch is a lot harder then opening up a box. The other day I made roast pork in the slow cooker. Simple enough but then I had to make the sides. It took me an hour to boil and make mashed potatoes, cook some rice, microwave 2 kinds of veggies and cut up stuff for a salad. By the time it was all done I was sweating like a pig and had lost my appetite. The night before I made mac & cheese and it took all of 15 minutes.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:37 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Cynthie, I personally think you are full of it. I work an average of 70 hours a week. Raising 2 kids alone, nobody cooks but me and it's all I can do to keep up with laundry much less cook from scratch ALL the time. Your comment on 'homeade mac'n'cheese" tells me a lot about what you are feeding your family. Ma cn cheese is loaded with FAT, heavily overprocessed grain leading to excess carbohydrates and sodium out the wazooo. Ever looked at the fat and sodium content of cheese? Keep it real.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• not usually. I work full time so I rarely cook except on the weekends. But when I do cook I make massive amounts and freeze them into one serving size portions and I eat/feed my son alot of vegetables and whole grains. It really is not difficult to open a box of whole wheat pasta and add a bag of frozen peas and throw some homemade sauce that was frozen a while ago on it. My mom never fed us processed foods and was a very busy woman so I think a have alot of tricks for quick easy healthy meals, even tho I work full time and go to school part time. Actually we do eat out about once or twice a month.... And on Fridays I don't bring my lunch to work but go out to Indian Buffet with co-workers.... I don't care what you do but everytime I see something made with white flour or white sugar I hear my moms voice saying that its all just empty calories... lol
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 10:43 AM on Jul. 14, 2009