How are you supposed to NOT use your life experiences when making decisions?

She never said that she would go against the rule of law. Of course the law is supreme, but how are you supposed to block out your understanding of life in order to make a blind decision? It's CRAZY to say that anyone checks their own experiences and history at the door when sitting at the bench.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think this comment has been over hyped in the media. It was a statement made in a speech to law students and I think her point was that all of our varied back grounds represent the American melding pot which is a part of every section of our culture including our justice system.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:45 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Not exactly sure what you're talking about.. but I have to agree.I believe people always make better decisions when using past experiences; good or bad.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 10:27 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• It's the fact that she feels that she can come to a BETTER CONCLUSION than anyone else because of her life experience. SHE brought up her heritage as a part of her decision making process. Not the other way around.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I believe OP is talking about Sotomayor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Because the letter of the law is the issue, not personl feelings. I am not in favor of abortion unless to save a life or a rape victim either, but if I were a cop I would have no problem arresting someone for harrassment at an abortion clinic either. Why? because the law says they can have an abortion whether I agree with the reason or not.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:29 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Thanks, anon. :)
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 10:29 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Yes Carpy, and the rule of law is the ultimate decision. I don't think she ever said that her personal experiences would make her reinterpret the laws in such a way that would change what is legal. I think what she means is that we all draw upon our unique experiences to form our understanding of the world around us.

ANON, I think that the "better conclusion" statement is taken out of context and is being interpretted in the worst light possible. It's silly to believe that Sotomayor actually thinks that Latinas have a corner on the market of good reasoning.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Well then, she shouldn't be surprised to have to answer to that. What do you expect, the right to roll over just because O thinks she is the bomb? Get over it. It's a hearing that every SC nominee goes through. Their words and decisions are up for complete and total scrutiny. If she wasn't prepared for it, she shouldn't have accepted the nom. Furthermore, I think her words that the bench is where policy is made is far more concerning than the comment about her life experience.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• As a supreme court judge, or any judge for that matter, they aren't to use their experiences to interpret the laws... they are to take the legal jargon and make it understandable and to interpret it as it stands. I am really tired of SCJ's "reinterpreting" (ie, rewriting) laws.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

Exactly.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:02 AM on Jul. 14, 2009