Game System Help Please

My kids are 6, 8 and 11. I allow them to play on the PS2 one hour per day as long as their chores are done. They also have an N64 in their playromm but do not use it much. My son is having issues he is 8. If he loses a game he gets mad and throws the controller. When his time is up he refuses to give the controller to the next person. I turned his game off today b/c he refused to stop when the game was over and he had a freaking fit. He stormed up to his room and slammed his door. I dunno what to do with him. He is a good kid usually but around games he is unreal. Has anyone had this issue with their child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Jul. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• Why not tell him he loses access to the game. Period. My kids know, "If someone or something makes it impossible for you to behave, that thing or person goes away." If they can't play the games without an attitude, they can't play it at all. They need to earn that privilege and following the rules of usage and good sportsmanship are part of earning it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I have with my son who is now 131/2. When he was 9 he was the same way as your son so I took the game completely away from him and told him that when he can learn to control his anger and attitudes he'll be allowed to resume playing the games he loves so much. Let me tell you that was the hardest year of his little life. He would not calm down for any reason even though he knew he wouldn't be playing any of the consoles we had in the house. Now at 13 he so rarely plays any of the games that he's asked if we could sell them. He would rather be out playing soccer or going to Karate class these days. Thank GOD.

BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 10:33 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Sounds like my kids. They aren't even allowed to use the game systems any more (we're down to just the xbox360) because we don't want them breaking something we can't afford to replace.
    My oldest dd had a Nintendo DS that she got when she turned 9 but I took it away back in February because she kept sneaking it when I told her she couldn't play it. I kept it in my room and she would take it when I wasn't looking, refused to give it back when I told her that her time was up and threw a fit whenever her brother was allowed to use it.
    So I hid it and she actually rummaged through my drawers to find it. She's played it once since then and only because she went to visit her friend and all they do there is play video games. She was told when she could behave and do her chores without a fit she could have it back...hasn't happened yet.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:34 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Sounds like my DH... Sorry, I can't help you. I am putting another TV in their room so that all 3 of my guys will have a game station to themselves. We have a TV in the Living room just for the XBox and then we have the Game Cube hooked up to the big TV and we are going to put a PS# in the boys room when they are old enough to play it...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:44 AM on Jul. 14, 2009