How can I stop my milk from coming in?

I've stopped breastfeeding my son but my milk keeps coming in, how can I stop it? I've heard I can use cabbage leaves to stop it but what else can I do?

khill060505

Asked by khill060505 at 10:28 AM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Good for you for making it a full year and not using formula..well if you have a pump slowly back off from pumping like you would nursing...pump when you start to feel full and only eough to feel better. Get some sage tea it helps, and look up the tea called no more milk tea it helps when weaning or when a mom loses her baby after nursing a while and needs it to dry up.
    GOOD luck and great job nursing a whole year
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 3:18 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• my doctor told me to wear a really really tight sports bra i didnt breast feed my dd at all though...so i dont know if it will work if it has already started coming in.......
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• you need to wrap your boobs really, really, really tight.. like with those tan bandages.. and i mean to the point that breathing is optional.. this will help dry them up.. wear a sportbra over it.. im telling just a few days of this and it will stop.. also sleep on your stomach so it spuashz them.. you will need help wrappn yourself up..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 10:42 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• why dont you just keep nursing? wrapping your breasts will only give you a really bad infection.
    rozepyle

Answer by rozepyle at 11:07 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• If you absolutely will not give your child the BEST thing you can give him thats up to you, please research formula before giving up 100%, sage will dry up milk as will crushed cabbage leaves in your bra, no warm showers, no tight bras, tight bras end up clogged ducts and causing mastitus...a bad infection in your breasts, can mean medications and flu like symptoms.

Weaning from the breast is best done slowly, as in drop one feeding every 5-7 days and replace it with something ele, if under 12 months then replace it with formula or donated milk, weaning faster than this can be really hard on mom
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 11:19 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Why did you stop breastfeeding?

Try weaning your child slowly, cut out a nursing at a time. Wrapping them and letting all that milk build up will just cause them to become infected.
    Breastfeeding is best feeding. Its more than nutrition to babies, its comfort in its ultimate form. Its much easier than formula and much cheaper.
    Id stick with breastfeeding.
    Kelleysunshine

Answer by Kelleysunshine at 11:52 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• My son turned a year old in June and that is part of the reason I am no longer breastfeeding him also he just isn't even interested in breastmilk anymore. I've put it in cups and even tried just letting have it the regular way and he's refusing. I know that breastmilk is the best and he had it for a whole year of his life, i am not giving him formula either
    khill060505

Answer by khill060505 at 2:25 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• sorry to disagree but wrappn will not give you an infection, i did it with both mine, thats what my doc said to do.. an he wrapd me for the first time.. but you do what you need to..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 8:43 AM on Jul. 15, 2009