Is it irresponsable for foster parents to take a vacation away from their foster kids?

I know this seems like a loaded question...but I'm curious. Foster parents agree to take in other people's kids; kids who may have been neglected and/or abused. I think it's inappropriate for someone put in charge of these kids with special emotional needs to put them in child care and take off. Here's the example... my neighbor is a foster mom to 2 teen siblings whose mom neglected them. They are great kids; they come over to my house and hang out several times a week. I was startled to hear from the girl that their foster mom is dropping them off at her mom's house and going to Mexico for the weekend. JMO...but I think that's wrong.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• OMG! I could go on forever.. One last thing, the cure for abandonment issues is NOT never leaving the child again, it is COMING BACK that helps them heal. They don't trust anyone to come back, and they never will until someone they love and care about leaves, and DOES come back.

3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 4:03 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Why? Many people take an adults only vacation and leave their kids with relatives. Now, if there is something going on right then like a court hearing or something that would not be good. However, I think treating the kids as you would your own is fine. They need to see how functional families operate and that includes adult only vacations.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 10:43 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Ugh...no its fine. Even foster parents get stressed and need a break. Sometimes stepping back and taking a breather can make you a better parent. A stressed one in real need of a break can often be worse then one who takes a short vacation.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 10:43 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I don't know about that. Every person needs a vacation once in a while. Just because this woman is a foster parent doesn't mean that she isn't allowed the chance for a break. I am a mom to two kids 13 & 12 and twice a year I drop them off at my mom's and take off for a weekend. Does that make me a bad person? I love my kids more then anything in the world, but they can drive a saint batty without a break. Don't judge a person unless you know everything that is going on, and even then unless you are that person you never really know everything.

BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 10:44 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Everyone needs a vacation. Especially if its just for the weekend. I would recommend to not worry about their business.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:45 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• So because she's a foster parent she's never allowed to take a vacation? Sounds like these kids are old enough to take care of themselves for the weekend.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 10:45 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• That reminds me...just two weeks till the ramada beach resort in ft walton. Pool side daquiris (my first drink since October...) from the bar under the waterfall in the pool, uninterrupted sex, and SLEEP. I'm so glad my parents are taking teh babies!
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 10:47 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I'm not judging...per se. Its just that I feel it's unwise, BECAUSE these aren't her kids. They have special emotional needs and react differently to being left. It is traumatizing for them to be left at the foster mom's parent's house in a way that it wouldn't be for biological children just visiting grandma. You see what I mean?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Judgemental much?? How many foster kids are YOU helping???

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:49 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• ANON- I do see what you mean about their needs being different, but maybe it will be a good thing to see that people leave and come back and it will widen the circle of trust they have with adults. I hope she has spoken with the kids about it and even if they are not 100% OK with it they understand the why behind it.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 10:53 AM on Jul. 14, 2009